VMware Cloud Community
parmand
Contributor
Contributor

Chart with Multiple Objects and One Metric?

Hi Everyone,

This seems like a horribly simple problem to solve, and yet I can't figure out how to do it.

I'm trying to set up a dashboard where I can monitor multiple resource pools in one view for a single metric (for the sake of argument, lets say CPU demand).  I know how to get the metrics pulled, and I can create a metric chart showing each resource pool on its own chart, or a stacked view, but the stacked view insists on showing the metric instead of the object (so, for example, it will show each line as "CPU | AVG Demand" or something similar).  I want it to show the object name itself.  Even better would be if I can have it show jsut a line, not a filled in graph like the stacked graph likes to do, but I can't see anywhere to do that.  I understand that a lot of times the graphs would be scaled way out as different resource pools could have radically different numbers for the same metric, but I don't even see the option to do this?  The closest I've gotten is a heatmap, but I really am not a big fan of heatmaps, as they don't show historical data like charts do.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
aaghabekyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Parmand,

I have created a View which shows CPU|Demand metric of each resource pool, you can download attached view xml, import it into your setup and apply it to vSphere World resource. You will have list of all Resource Pools existing in your system with value of CPU|Demand metric.

0 Kudos
Rugbot
Contributor
Contributor

parmand

RE: "stacked view insists on showing the metric instead of the object".

I understand this is know issue and has been addressed by HotFix 2 as part of release 6.0.1 (see; VMware vRealize Operations Manager 6.0.1) .

RE: "Even better would be if I can have it show jsut a line, not a filled in graph like the stacked graph likes to do, but I can't see anywhere to do that"

click the "stacked chart" icon on your metric chart widget - this is the 2nd icon from the right - and that will give you line charts per object, not stacked data.

hope that helps

0 Kudos