VMware Horizon Community
j_rodstein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Limiting Client Folder Redirection in 6.1.1

Hi All,

I would like to be able to give certain users access to Client Folder Redirection, but not others.  All users login to the same RDS server.  From looking at the VMware GPOs, it seems this setting can only be controlled on a server basis, not user.  Are their any work arounds?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
j_rodstein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Crickets?  No one has an answer on this one ? :smileylaugh:

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Drive mapping happens per user session.

That means the second user who connects to same RDS server, will not be able to see first users network mapping.

0 Kudos
j_rodstein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, I want to be able to DISABLE Client Redirection for some users, not all of them.  They all login to the same RDS server.

0 Kudos
kclark2907
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Assuming your using separate GPOs to apply only folder redirection settings, if your not then create a separate GPO, then use the security filtering on the GPO so it only applies to the users you want to apply to.

Regards

Ken

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Unfortunately we only currently support Microsoft's GPO fDisableCdm and they only seem to offer this on a per-machine basis.  We are looking into how to add more fine-grained policy support but there is nothing available now to allow that.  I think that even blocking virtual channels happens on a per-machine basis, not a per-user basis, so I don't think that that is an option either.

0 Kudos
dwigz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You could set the read and execute permissions of the GPO to a "client folder redirection" group so that only the users in the appropriate security group can read the Group Policy and execute it.  For users not in that group, they will not get it.

0 Kudos
solgaeDK
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That will most likely not work because computer GPO policies are read using computer accounts, not user accounts. So trying to filter using user accounts will not work for computer-based policies.

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

For what it's worth, we are working on better per-user controls for remote experience features like client drive redirection and clipboard.  I will point the developers to this thread so that they are aware of the ask.  I know it doesn't help you now, but I did at least want to let you know that.  Unfortunately we don't have a committed date right now.

0 Kudos
dwigz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The GPO permissions work.  I have done it.

0 Kudos