VMware Communities
ACeS07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Mouse pointer jumps around on Windows 7 VM

How do I get it to behave?
I have a Windows 7 VM with VMware tools installed.

These preferences are set:

• Grab keyboard and mouse input on mouse click.
  • Automatically grab and ungrab the mouse.
  • Hide cursor on ungrab.
  • Optimize mouse for games: Never

Often the mouse pointer jumps to a new spot when I click it.  For example, without leaving the full screen VM, I click the center of the screen an the pointer will jump to the top or sometimes the bottom.  Click again, same thing.  I tried unchecking toolbar auto-hide to no avail.

Also, the VM is maximized on my second monitor, if I move outside it to my main monitor the mouse may not function.  That is, if I click on an object, say Outlook, nothing happens.  It acts as if the mouse is not there; the click did not happen.

This does not happen with my XP VMs.  On the Windows 7 VM, Windows is not activated, yet.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ACeS07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I gave up and created new WMs.  They work fine.

Deleted the old misbehaving VMs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sannsan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I guess this should be problem with the VMware tools only .... try downloading VM tools from VMware website again...

let me know Workstation Ver you are using ...@

0 Kudos
ACeS07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry, WS 11.1.2 build-1780323

Do I download the tools from within WS?

Preferences - Updates has the following checked:

• Check for product updates on startup
  • Check of software components as needed

Not checked:

• Automatically update VMware Tools on a virtual machine
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

As you mentioned in your other thread Workstation 11 invokes KVM keystrokes that you are using a KVM, is it possible that this is also related to the KVM? Have you tried to connect a mouse directly to the host and does it still behave like that?

Because even if VMware Tools is not installed, it should not position the mouse in a random location on a click.

Another time I've heard about this problem was with people using higher DPI settings and they solved that by disabling high DPI settings on the link to VMware Workstation. But it doesn't really sound like that issue because in that case the mouse would be consistent in the offset on where it would locate itself after the click.

PS: What is your host OS and what specific version of Workstation 11 are you running?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ACeS07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Host is Windows 7 Pro.

WS 11.1.2 build-1780323

I tried again with the mouse plugged directly into the host and the erratic behavior continued.

I tried a brand new mouse, no change.

The W7 WM without VMware will behave for periods of time.  I usually have to do something with the VMware menu at the top first.

I launch the the workstation from the notification area ("tray") icon.  That does not give direct access to the link.  I poked around a bit and could not find it to check its DPI settings.

The XP VMs behave fine.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Disabling High DPI is only helping if you are actually using high DPI settings.

To check if you are, on your host, right click on the desktop, select "Screen resolution", then select "make text and other items larger or smaller". If you are there on "100%" then you are not using high DPI, if settings are higher like 150% then you are using high DPI.

In order to disable high DPI settings on VMware Workstation, navigate to where you installed VMware Workstation.

Typically that would be: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\

Then right click on the "vmware.exe" file and select properties, on the compatibility tab put a check in "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ACeS07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I gave up and created new WMs.  They work fine.

Deleted the old misbehaving VMs.

0 Kudos
carmicklec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is not in any way a correct answer. Has there been any movement on this? I have GTS'd enough to know this is a pervasive and persistent issue but has no real solution. At least none that I can find. Any real help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos