VMware Cloud Community
UDPsystems
Contributor
Contributor

Good riddance Flash. What is the plan VMware?

After years of bloated, bug ridden death throws, Flash is finally going to the grave it should have been in since HTML5 was a frisky pup.

When vSphere 6 dropped just a few short months ago we were floored that the "only supported client" was still dependent on Flash. Without going into the why and how this could happen in a company that has been so responsible for pushing technology forward, let's just agree that it was a horrible error in judgement and move forward.

While no surprise to most, the recent, very public, display that Flash is not only a poorly performing, inefficient relic, but a horrible security nightmare, means that a move forward needs to happen ASAP. We don't need posts about workarounds, hacks or one off customization. What is needed, and as paying customers should be demanded, is a fully functional, well behaved, and acceptably performing management interface for the products we are paying for. That interface will obviously no longer rely in any way on a product line that was already bad news when the vSphere Web Client was first introduced. A product that may not last out the month on any major browser platform. As the rest fall in line with the good example Mozilla set earlier this week, or years ago by those really paying attention (RIP Steve Jobs), we may not have a single browser that can be used to launch the only fully supported management interface for our 6.0 vSphere environments in short order.

A Flash free version should have been the VMware priority one when re-designing the most recent client. Now it has to be, and it has to be done quickly. So pretty please, with sugar on top, let us hear about that move forward.

Respectfully,

J. Murdoch

0 Kudos
3 Replies
markdjones82
Expert
Expert

I agree that they need to get away from flash sooner than later.  It is the same for many clients that use Java. I am sure they are working on it, but of course testing and stability must be tested first.  I would guess we will see it within a year, but this is just an assumption.

http://www.twitter.com/markdjones82 | http://nutzandbolts.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
wreedctd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree also. What is the plan Vmware?

0 Kudos
mlps
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, came back to check to see if vmware is still stonewalling, and apparently they are.

Glad I killed our vmware po's.  Guess I'll have to kill another one.  Making me Mr. Popular.  Way to go.

0 Kudos