VMware Cloud Community
vmware12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adding New ESXi host to vSAN, putting in new Network Partition Group

Adding a new Dell R730xd to my vSAN-enabled cluster (also all Dell R730xds, same specs) but when doing so the new host is put into a different Network Partition Group.  Same configuration on the switch the new host is plugged into as that of the others.  Can confirm connectivity between each host (well, confirm as much as I can ping the vSAN interface between any of the four hosts), yet still says there is a communication error.  Any ideas? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
8 Replies
ChristianDickma
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I recommend using the VSAN Health plugin to better understand your connectivity picture.

0 Kudos
vmware12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tried this as well.  Unfortunately, it gives a generic 'misconfiguration' message but for the life of me I cannot figure out what it is.  It claims to be a network misconfiguration but I have no idea what it is, given the host can ping the vSAN interfaces of all the other hosts (and vice versa) and the vCenter itself.

0 Kudos
ChristianDickma
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Can you post a screenshot of the VSAN health UI? The UI should show many individual checks, including ping checks, multicast checks, etc.

0 Kudos
vmware12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is the only relevant output.

I can ping the vSAN interfaces between each host, so I'm not sure what is going on.  I even checked the config on the switches and can confirm each port is configured identical.

0 Kudos
vmware12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm now guessing it has something to do with the multicasting (or lack thereof) from where my original 3-host configuration is physically located and connected and the newly-added host, which is in a different row (and a different switch).

0 Kudos
ChristianDickma
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yeah, you have two groups, and if they are aligned with physical network topology, then very likely it is the setting on your physical switches

0 Kudos
vmware12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Duncan.  I found the same link you posted and it was really helpful.  Thanks!

0 Kudos