VMware Cloud Community
ictadminrbassi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

reclaim storage from VMFS volume

Hi

We have a NetApp FAS8020 array where we present Fibre channel LUNS to ESX.

For the NetApp suite we have the option to reclaim space using the NetApp Virtual Storage Console vcentre plugin however this is only supported on NFS volumes.

Is there any other way to reclaim space on Fibre based LUNs using VMFS?

I have tried the ESXi CLI tool vmfkstools -y command however whilst this runs, it doesn't ever reclaim the space.

We are using ESXi 5.0.0 U3 both Hypervisor and vCentre level.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kanishks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Hope you are specifying the percentage to reclaim. vmkfstools -y percentage_of_deleted_blocks_to_reclaim

Please refer the KB article http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201484... .

Let me know if this works.

Rgds

Kanishk Sethi

0 Kudos
ictadminrbassi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Kanishk

Yes I have tried the command vmkfstools -y with 60,70,80,90,99 and even the figures in the following thread

Re: esxcli storage vmfs unmap - doesn't reclaim all available storage?

however it runs for a few seconds and says its complete, when I look on the volume size on the NetApp it only shows a small decrease in space.

Can confirm it is supported NetApp Knowledgebase - What VAAI configurations are supported on Data ONTAP storage controllers?

Thanks

0 Kudos
kanishks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Sorry i missed to ask this initially can you please confirm which version of vSphere are you using in your enviornment.

Rgds

Kanishk Sethi

0 Kudos