VMware Horizon Community
KyleCompassion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View admin vCenter Server is "red" - how to troubleshoot

We did a SAN controller upgrade over the weekend. We had no issues there at all, but after the upgrade was done we saw view admin showing the vCenter Server service as "red". Restarting vCenter Server Service on the server resolved the issue and it went "green" about 5 minutes after the service was restarted. I came in this morning and the "red" status had returned, restarting the service brought it back to "green".

Is there an easy/good/best way to troubleshoot this? View Admin is completely useless for troubleshooting any "red" service issues. I've gone through logs, event viewer, bundles, etc and don't see anything that would tell me why View Admin thinks there is an issue. I can provision VM's, delete them, recompose, etc without issue. as far as I can tell vCenter is fine and it's making me wonder if its View Admin having the issue and not vCenter. What do you guys normally do to troubleshoot "red" statuses?

5 Replies
paulhilldaly
Contributor
Contributor

Pardon me, did you find a resolution to this issue?

I think I am also am experiencing this issue.

Horizon View 6, win-vcenter 5.5 and esxi 5.5. Composer on Vcenter.

view admin status "The service is not working properly"

note that i experience NO ISSUE with any action/task within view (All 20 pools working 100%) this vcenter or any vcenter (other vcenter shows green). just this RED status on view admin page.

its accompanied by this in just 1 connection server log"

ERROR (0C40-0FF4) <VCHealthUpdate> [ServiceConnection25] Problem connecting to VirtualCenter at https://myvcenterserver.fqdn.here:443/sdk (java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect)

vcenter shows on "vcenter service status" ALL GREEN,

again i experience NO ISSUES other than this red icon. maddening!

Note this is NOT:

VMware KB: Cannot connect to the VMware Horizon View Connection Server/Security Server

nor

VMware KB:    View Manager dashboard shows one of the Connection Servers as not available

nor

VMware KB:    View Composer Server appears Red in the View Administrator Console dashboard with the ...

nor

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200006...

0 Kudos
TonyBryant
Contributor
Contributor

Any luck resolving this issue? I have a new environment I am standing up with Horizon 6.2 using the VCSA 6.0.0.20000 Build Number 3634791. The status is going from green to red and back periodically and I am seeing the same message in the logs.

0 Kudos
EricNichols
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We see this happen when veeam takes a snapshot of the vcenter appliance server. There is a brief network\vm stun that triggers the "red". Restarting the view service on the connection server resolves the "red". There are no other connectivity issues, the view infrastructure continues to operate normally.

0 Kudos
KyleCompassion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was able to make some progress on this issue finally over the past week or so. Thanks to the Horizon API's in PowerCLI 6.5. The following applied to my environment, and is probably limited to a very specific scenario, but hopefully will be useful to other people too.

Using the Horizon API's that are in PowerCLI 6.5, i found the issue was NOT vcenter directly, but rather one of my four connection servers had an issue with its connection to vCenter. It appears that if any conn server has an issue connecting to vcenter, view admin flags vCenter as red and not the problematic connection server. View Admin and its lack of logging or good error messages didn't help aim me in the right direction at all (hint hint VMware, improve the logging and error messages for view admin server statuses please). Once i identified the conn server that had issues, restarting its connection server service resolved the issue for the time being. I still dont know why that one server has been having issues, but at least now i know it's not a vCenter issue and I can now start looking in the proper place to hopefully resolve this permanently. FWIW, this issue has not returned since restarting that service on that conn server.

1. Install powerCLI 6.5 and be sure the Horizon View API's are included in the installation wizard.

2. open PowerCLI and type connect-HVServer "servername" where servername is FQDN of one of your connection servers. You'll need to do this from a computer/server that can connect to your connection server. in my case, i did this on a connection server directly.

3. run this command, which queries the status of each connection server in relation to it's connection to vCenter:  $Global:DefaultHVServers.extensiondata.VirtualCenterHealth.VirtualCenterHealth_LIST().ConnectionServerData.Status This command will return the status of all connection servers, not just the one you're running PowerCLI from.

4. if any of the servers show the STATUS field as STATUS_DOWN, this will cause vCenter in view admin to show as red even though the issue is actually with the connection server.

5. restart the connection server service on the connection server(s) showing STATUS_DOWN and in a couple of minutes vCenter should move to "green" in view admin

again, this is just one scenario that can cause vCenter to show as red in view admin but hopefully it can help others make some progress troubleshooting their environment.

shout out to this blog for getting me started with using the API

http://www.virtu-al.net/2016/12/08/getting-started-powercli-6-5-horizon-view/

and VMwares horizon API documentation for helping me find what i needed to in the API to find this fix

VMware API Explorer - VMware {code}

0 Kudos
UofMVSI
Contributor
Contributor

Ran into this issue following a minor vCenter upgrade.  Ran your commandlet received this output:

STATUS_UP

STATUS_UP

STATUS_DOWN

STATUS_UP

STATUS_UP

Not too helpful.  I then ran Get-Monitor and found the offending connection server:

fullName              : VCMonitor.166fd2a4-e456-4c26-a0e8-8b5cd510bfed

id                    : 166fd2a4-e456-4c26-a0e8-8b5cd510bfed

state                 : ERROR

version               : 6.0.0

apiVersion            : 6.0

URL                   : https://vcenterURL:443/sdk

isComposerEnabled     : true

brokerEntry           : { brokerNetbiosName=VDI-CONNECTIONSERVER, status=STATUS_DOWN, statusDescription=Can't connect }

statusInfo            : { infoEntry=CANNOT_CONNECT }

certValid             : true

certStarts            : 1530576000000

certExpires           : 1593734399000

certReasons           : { reason= }

certAboutToExpire     : false

certThumbprintMatched : false

monitor               : VCMonitor

monitor_id            : 166fd2a4-e456-4c26-a0e8-8b5cd510bfed

Thought this might help someone.  Thanks for your post!

0 Kudos