VMware Cloud Community
sav1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

convert HV VM (P2V) as physical or from Hyper-V server (V2V)

Hi.

I have to convert one Hyper-V's VM to vSphere, it is a windows server 2008 r2 (both HV and VM) and HV have simple default installation.

First step: with source as  Hyper-V I had got a problem at 1% such "FAILED: An error occured while opening a virtual disk. Verify that the Converter server and the running source machines have a network access to the source and destination ESX/ESXi hosts.". I think it is not commonly problem at HV, because neighboured test VM converted ok, but it is very pure in environment - have no software as MSSQL and big vhd. And I think if I make google-search more then I can resolve problem (or write additionaly here:). Commonly, one thought was that raid-5 was degraded at that moment, and maybe in fast reading via HV it was timeouts, dont know. (I brought disk to raid 5 just yesterday and try again HV convert tonight.)

Second step: with source as physical (yep, why not) it converted ok, despite that I forgot or can't turn off programs/processes to give VM easy way for convert.

And now I have a question:

Is I should to try convert from HV directly or it enough to do as physical?

Is a principal difference in resulted VM (more clear virtualization layer or windows in VM) when I do one or enother thing?

Finaly I didnt understand a principal need of HV conversion as it. Except several situations: when we can't run source VM for physical conversion (f.e. havnt free CPU/RAM/etc or it is like archive and not for run to prevent state change); when we need fast conversion (without virtual layer from source VM to HV); and when we want to exclude VM's process works effect.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You may choose whatever approach you like, there is no substantial difference. V2V (cold clone) gives you full consistency, some prefer it mainly becuase of that. Using P2V with change synchronization and stopping important services before the sync ensures enough consistency for practical purposes.

As for the 'third way' - select a Worstation destination type. Be aware WS and ESX formats differ slightly, though.

HTH

Plamen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
sav1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Also just now I thought that it is 3rd way by convert from files, if I bring them directly to converter's side. but I dont see this way.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You may choose whatever approach you like, there is no substantial difference. V2V (cold clone) gives you full consistency, some prefer it mainly becuase of that. Using P2V with change synchronization and stopping important services before the sync ensures enough consistency for practical purposes.

As for the 'third way' - select a Worstation destination type. Be aware WS and ESX formats differ slightly, though.

HTH

Plamen

0 Kudos
sav1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Plamen, thank you for answer.

Its clear now, after search little about conversion work method. Ok, I will examine conversion with running DBs by myself in case of various DBs.

About 3rd way that I meaned for third method, it is to get source VM in cold state via manual transport files to converter (or simply, as examle, make smb share on HV and map to conveter's side). And in that situation I can't catch how changing destination type (and it no need finaly - I wish to place VM in vSphere) may help me to get source, when my source cant be recieved via first two methods. Realy, i checked conveter master's way for this way, and didnt see anything useful for my goal. I suggest that I had bad explanation of this task in English at my previous post. Is I'm right?

p.s. finaly I got run conversion, problem was in network settings, namely that vmware hosts (and converter too) used DNS, but HV was can't resolve their names.

Now my problem in long time of conversation about 2days and over (turning off a SSL in worker's xml dont help much), and it will be separate googlesearch or topic.

RGRDS.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

About the 3rd way - although the hacker's approach of copying the files may work sometimes, it wouldn't in this case (or more precisely it will be prohibitively difficult) because the Hyper-V and vSphere file formats are different.

However Converter can do that for Hyper-V 2008 (it can't for 2012; regardless of 'R2'). You should power off the VM and select 'Hyper-V server' as source type in Converter wizard. Perhaps this could be even faster (though I don't know actually).

Regards

0 Kudos
sav10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, Plamen.

I'm sorry again, I think  it my bad explanation in English.

Just meaned that I can bring source MS's VM files to direct file-access side for converter, in case if converter can convert it to vSphere. Like it can be done with backup images and MS Virtural PC VM-s in case of "Select source type: Backup image or third-party virtual machine".

Actually for now, I tried to use source as H-V manager, but some difficults yet with long conversion time (estimated for 3 days). Will look for problems in LAN configuration (looks that some their). Also seen topic Converting a Physical SQL Server to Virtual‌ (so got evidence of my own vision) and in a last resort i can use some actions as described there.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello again

There is some misunderstanding indeed.

I wouldn't advise you to treat Hyper-V VMs as Virtual PC VMs! Perhaps the file formats are similar but this is not a supported scenario. OTOH converting them as powered off Hyper-V VMs will also access their files directly (by the converter agent installed on hyper-v server). Thus the cloning time should be the same as in third party VMs and probably faster than P2V.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
sav1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello.

Yes, ok thank You. Finaly I got my test conversions.

And, if you dont mind, I wish make little beat of source question. In pointed ealrier topic about SQL conversion your final post was:

Let me give you a brief explanation how scheduled synchronization works: a bitmap driver starts tracking all changed clusters on the disk before the cloning starts. When the time for sync comes, a VSS snapshot is being done on the source volumes, and all the changed clusters are read from > that snapshot and transferred.

You can also instruct Converter to stop some services before the final sync, e.g, SQL server and exchange. Thus there will be no lost data from those services' activity.

There is two points before my question.

First is: As I understand, a job for pass a snapshot is work for one time. Against a complicate method in vMotion technology, when, as we told, for memory transfer uses set of snapshots, each over less in set, and finaly source freezes for a second and destination activates.

Second is: As I know, in example for oracle databases there is important to get syncroneous files in one time, because all datafiles has own identifier of thats called SCN, and it provides of DB consistence. And if they after copying finaly have not equal value in destination, then you cannt startup DB without hard manipulation or cannt startup at all (therefore it called as 'cold backup' and realy many beginners got a big trouble after try recover from cold backup, if it maked in warm state with running DB instance). And I think similar thing should be in most production databases.

And question is (sure, I'm not first, but however): have a place trouble when we do P2V and have running DB on VM (or any other db-like service)? In case of that trouble: have a VMware ability and plans to resolve that?

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello

I am not sure I understand your statements. I'll try to answer the way I understand them

- snapshots are not one time. Each incremental synchronization in a conversion job creates a separate VSS snapshot;

- I haven't worked with Oracle but I have worked with MS SQL Server and Informix Dynamic Server. The databases' data reside either on a raw device or in a single file per DB (disregarding logs). The SQL server is one or more services that write to the databases. Whenever stopped gracefully, it keeps the databases in consistent state (I have heard that what I call 'database' is called 'schema' in Oracle and their 'database' is the whole set of 'databases'; however that doesn't invalidate the case of consistency).

- as conclusion - there is no trouble to P2V machines with SQL servers from a consistency point of view, as long as the correct procedure is followed.

HTH,

Plamen

sav1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello, Plamen.

Yes, this is an exact answer. It is a good news that syncronization during volumes conversion is similar syncronization of memory in vMotion proccess - in set of snapshots. Generaly it is good for us, and for some especial questions I'll learn subjects hard in future by myself. Because they need more deep view inside technology, and I'm realy interested for it.

But if you have couple right url-links on technical describe of P2V proccess (both for Windows and Linux sources), I'll be very grateful.

Thank you a lot!

P.s.: It seems that I would be speak in native Russian for exclude language misunderstanding, but maybe not. And a question is over for now, finaly)

Regards.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I am glad this has helped

There are a few pages in the user guide that describe the process though it is a bit a birds' eye view. Unfortunately I am not aware of any text that is kind of "Inside VMware Converter". You may search the forum for specific cases. Other sites can also provide valuable know-how.

I am fine with Russian but the forum is in English. I suppose it will be OK to post in both languages.

Regards,

Plamen