VMware Cloud Community
aenagy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Why put Model Manager on IaaS Web instead of IaaS Management?

I have implemented vCAC 5.2 and vCAC 6.0.1. In each case the location of the Model Manager was different (Manager vs. Web), but in both cases I was working with PSO. I am also reading the documentation for vRA 6.2.x and see that on page 18 of VMware_vRA_6.2_documentation/vrealize-automation-62-installation-and-configuration.pdf (EN-001649-04) that VMware has put the Model Manager on the IaaS Web layer. As the Model Manager service is the one that communicates with the IaaS database it seems really counter intuitive to put it on the Web layer and not the Management layer, following the principle of keeping the database as far away from the user interface as possible. For my question I am going to make the assumption that the reason is not related to performance simply because we have enough of the latest high-end hardware that it should not be a problem, either scaling up or scaling out.

1) Why does VMware put the Model Manager on the Web layer (for vRA 6.2.x)? What is so magical about the Web layer that they put the Model Manager here?

2) If I opt to install the Model Manager on the Manager layer (for vRA 6.2.x) does this in any way deminish supportability?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
aenagy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Any comment from VMware?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The modelmanager data is required to deploy installation components in the database, and it is only required to be installed once and in only used during installation, upgrades and when running vac-config.exe commands. In a large distributed installation, we need to install the web layer first, and the model manager is used when installing the web components, therefore it's why it's placed on the web layer. If you are doing a medium deployment, the infrastructure web/manager server goes on one server as all components are installed on the same windows servers (web, manager service and model manager)

1) Why does VMware put the Model Manager on the Web layer (for vRA 6.2.x)? What is so magical about the Web layer that they put the Model Manager here?

The modelmanager is only required for installation and upgrades along with running vcac-config.exe commands. It is not required for the system to operate.

2) If I opt to install the Model Manager on the Manager layer (for vRA 6.2.x) does this in any way deminish supportability?

I don't believe a large ref architecture installation would work as the web layer needs the model manager. In a medium and small deployment, it makes no difference.

Does this help?

Oli

0 Kudos
aenagy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

oliverleacholiverleach

I think I'm missing something here. Maybe its not understanding the difference between the web servers and the management servers. What you are saying about the web servers makes it sound like this is the heart of vCAC. Based on what I've seen, the web servers are the presentation layer, along with the vCAC appliances in the case of version 6.x. The management servers I thought were the ones that communicated with the (SQL Server) database which in my mind makes this the application layer which is why I keep thinking that this is where Model Manager belongs.

0 Kudos
kumarankpl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

aenagyenagy  Can you explain more on what do you mean by "management servers" ? Are you referring to Manager Service?

If yes you can install manager service on a Separate component.

As oliver said "The model manager is only required for installation and upgrades along with running vcac-config.exe and RepoUtil.exe commands. It is not required for the system to operate." Since all these components are installed in DB these components that exist in File system won't be used at all.

Thanks

Kumaran

0 Kudos
kumarankpl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I understand its little confusing. Are you referring to the below Model Manager Web Service?

http://www.van-lieshout.com/2013/08/vcloud-automation-center-part-1-vcac-components-overview/

• Model Manager Web Services
    The Model Manager manages core vCAC and custom models. The Model Manager provides services and utilities for persisting, versioning, securing and distributing the different elements of the model and for communicating with the vCAC portal website and Distributed Execution Managers (DEMs).

Thanks

Kumaran

0 Kudos
aenagy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

kumarankpl:

Yes, management servers = Manager Service. Our's is a highly distributed configuration.

Does putting Model Manager on the management servers (Manager Service) compromise support from GSS?

It's not clear to me why VMware's documentation is putting the Model Manager on the web servers instead.

0 Kudos
aenagy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

kumarankpl:

In my OP I was referred to this document:

vrealize-automation-62-installation-and-configuration.pdf (EN-001649-04)

0 Kudos
kumarankpl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You are absolutely fine in Installing Manager Service in a completely different Machine.  This is very much supported configuration.

Could you check the Below Documentation : Page number :18. Where its clearly shown that Manager Service can be in completely different Machine for distributed deployment.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vra-62/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vrealize-automation-62-installation-and-co...

Thanks

Kumaran

0 Kudos
kumarankpl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There is some confusion around Model Manager Data and Manager Service.  Below post clearly explains the difference.

http://www.hypervizor.com/2014/01/reference-architecture-vcloud-automation-center-vcac-6-0-distribut...

Model Manager Service vs. Model Manager Data: During the setup of your IaaS components, you will see an item titled “ModelManagerData” as shown in the screenshot below. Do not confuse this with the actual Model Manager web service that gets installed automatically on the vCAC Web tier mentioned above. This ModelManagerData gets installed only once. It is basically to populate the database (the MS-SQL DB) with the default model data.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks

Kumaran

0 Kudos