VMware Cloud Community
parmand
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Monitor all IOPS in a Resource Pool?

Hi everyone,

I'm quite new to vROM, and just getting my feet wet.  I've been digging through the helpful "Mastering vRealize Operations Manager" book, and that has been helpful, but I'm trying to figure out important piece out:

We have different resource pools for different departments in our organization, and I'm trying to get a good graph for IOPS in each resource pool.  I've been able to get a list of all VMs in a resource pool by creating a dashboard with the Object Picker widget set to resource pool, then use the "Virtual Machine Disk I/O Diagnose List" view to see all the VMs inside of the resource pool, and then for the summary use SUM to add them all together.  This gives me a number, but doesn't do anything for that over time.  I'd love to be able to see that number over the course of a few months (even if that means just going forward from today onward, no historical data).

Any ideas?  I feel I must be missing something, as Resource Pool seems like it would be a good way to measure disk impact.  Virtual Machine Folder could work too, but isn't as clean as I'd like.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
parmand
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Everyone,

Just following up, I got this resolved so I figured I would mention it here in case anyone else is curious.  It does have to do with the SuperMetrics.

The formula I created is as follows:

SUM(${adapterkind=VMWARE, resourcekind=VirtualMachine, attribute=virtualDisk|commandsAveraged_average, depth=1})

This takes the sum of all of the VMs one level under the resource pool.  I also have been using the Average and Max values, as this helps show trends and whether you have outlier VMs eating a ton of IOPS.

I got a lot of help from Iwan Rahabok over at virtual red dot.  Specifically this thread here: http://virtual-red-dot.info/any-vm-abusing-your-iaas-by-doing-excessive-workload/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
haiderinam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey I am sorry I can't answer your question. But about the vRealize operations book, do you think it's worth the $45? I just want to get a fairly detailed overview of how vRealize works. Thanks.

0 Kudos
parmand
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My main response glitched out apparently, but I think in general its worth it.  I find the online information on this product pretty lacking, so the book does help shore up some of the more confusing areas.
0 Kudos
parmand
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, I think I'm getting somewhere with Super Metrics, and I think thats how this would be solved, but I don't have any actual super metrics working (but the idea is there!).

Anyone with SM experience able to shed some light on how they might tackle this?

0 Kudos
parmand
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Everyone,

Just following up, I got this resolved so I figured I would mention it here in case anyone else is curious.  It does have to do with the SuperMetrics.

The formula I created is as follows:

SUM(${adapterkind=VMWARE, resourcekind=VirtualMachine, attribute=virtualDisk|commandsAveraged_average, depth=1})

This takes the sum of all of the VMs one level under the resource pool.  I also have been using the Average and Max values, as this helps show trends and whether you have outlier VMs eating a ton of IOPS.

I got a lot of help from Iwan Rahabok over at virtual red dot.  Specifically this thread here: http://virtual-red-dot.info/any-vm-abusing-your-iaas-by-doing-excessive-workload/

0 Kudos