VMware Horizon Community
caddo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Horizon for linux remote protocol

Hi,

I'm testing Horizon for Linux and working with it you have the impression that the protocol used to remotely access the VM is not PCoIP.

Out of curiosity, what is it officially? I can't find anything in the doc about this.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks Caddo for using Horizon for Linux. May I ask you what is your major user scenario for Horizon for Linux? Did you see any area to be improved? We are glad to hear your comments. Thanks and have a good day.

0 Kudos
caddo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Yanzhaozhang,

from a user experience standpoint I can say that overall it is impressive in fact I would like to have some insight on the protocol like I asked in the original post because I don't believe this is PCoIP.

You definitely need to integrate the provisioning system in View Administrator (and full clones are not an option...).

Also, we need a mean to have SSO (you can't force people to have separated authentication between View and Linux) and we need something to manage user profiles in Linux, maybe we don't need a new technology but write a good doc on how to do this with native tools.

And please, let me konw about the protocol.

0 Kudos
CrashTheGooner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Caddo ,

Thank you for posting this issue.

I am also currently building a POC for a client who uses 70 % linux desktops . The problem is that when I provision these desktops using manual pool their status is always connected and not available. I am trying to use linked clones and unable to get get the agent status to available in registered machine tab. Kindly help.

Thank you for your responses.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful. RGS
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

CrashTheGooner,

Linked clone is not supported yet. have you tried to provisioning your desktop with the scripts we provided?

0 Kudos
CrashTheGooner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear Williamshao,

Can you please provide the links for scripts for provisioning these linux desktops?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful. RGS
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

please check Documentation Center for Horizon 6 version 6.1 -> Setting Up Horizon 6 for Linux Desktops ->Bulk Deployment of Horizon 6 for Linux Desktops

0 Kudos
odb33
Contributor
Contributor

The remote protocol used for linux desktop is Blast. Unfortunately PCOIP is not supported.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Caddo,

Linux VDI does not use PCoIP protocol because PCoIP does not support Linux OS at the time when the product was developed. We are glad to hear customer feedbacks and improve our product continuously to deliver better user experience.

0 Kudos
nwincey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are there plans to support PCoIP in Linux VDI?  I ask this because our systems use zero clients to access our VDI pools in Windows and we would greatly benefit from being able to extend this support to Linux.  Right now we have to go "around our elbows" to access our Linux VMs for a zero client.  Using a thin client or PC will not work for our CONOPs at the moment.

0 Kudos
RandyDGroves
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you are interested in PCoIP Zero Client support for Linux, you can sign up here: Platform: Linux Tech Preview

0 Kudos