VMware Cloud Community
CoryBarker
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to clear vROPs alerts

I have an open SR on this but was wondering if anyone in the community has come across this.  Our vROps environment is configured for large, it has an HA pair, and three remote collectors.  Two additional data nodes were added for the issues below.  For some time now we have been unable to clear alerts. 

My understanding is that I should be able to clear an alert, but once the check-in occurs, if that metric is still detected, the alert will fire again.  However when we try to clear alerts, we either get error messages that vROps is unable to clear the alert, or we will get a successful message, however the alert still shows in the list and it never goes away.  I have verified our permissions, and even performed these actions using the built in admin account.  Since this SR was opened in May, I have been watching vROps, and it does clear the alerts on its own as the metric is no longer detected.

Troubleshooting

After several log bundles, VMWare thought  that when the alerts trigger, vROps is not able to store the alarms in the database, so when we cancel the alert, it fails because the alarms are missing, so VMware basically purged the database.  VMWare suggested we add two additional data nodes to our environment, and then perform a disk rebalance.  The nodes were added, the disk rebalance was conducted on 6/6, however the DB was not balanced across the ha pair and nodes. 

Currently, engineering is still investigating..

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
shakman9999
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing the identical behaviour in my vROPS deployment.  It doesn't hurt anything, but it is annoying.

0 Kudos
siddiqui_au
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What is the SR number if could share?
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Sarge_Siddiqui
LinkedIn: https://au.linkedin.com/in/sargesiddiqui
0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You're running 2 nodes, with HA enabled? So one is master, one is replica?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
JakeMelberg
Contributor
Contributor

What was the out come of the SR?  Were you able to solve this issue?

0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert

Since you expanded the layout of vROps, you may have duplicate entries for the same objects, especially if you pointed new devices to vCenter's from which data was already being collected.  Those stale objects may be causing the problem.  Check inventory explorer and see if any of the devices which are alerting have multiple entries.  If so, delete the object which is not collecting, clear the alert, and see if it comes back.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos
vmitra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If possible please ref following KB for deleting old objects from vRops :

1.Suppressing or suspending an alert in VMware vRealize Operations Manager 5.x / 6.0.x fails with the ...

2.After cancelling the selected alerts in VMware vRealize Operations Manager 6.0.x, one or more of the...

also you may try to reconfigure vcenter adapter from vrops

(Note : Backup is must before doing any core configuration changes)

0 Kudos