VMware Cloud Community
TechExpert
Contributor
Contributor

How VMRC Works

Hi Guys,

can anybody let me know how VMware Remote console works. because i have installed vmrc plugin in my pc but still i am not getting vmrc console window. Is there any specific ports are required to be open form ESXi server & vCenter to my PC,  because port required for Desktop Client & web-client port are already open. I am using Desktop & web-client from my PC.  Please advice.

Thanks in Advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
GaneshNetworks

FAT client uses 902 and 903

Web client uses 7331 or 7343.

Recommend you to have a look at http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101238...

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMRC receives a session ticket from the server (generated from the acquireCloneTicket API) and via this it acquires an MKS ticket used to display the console window. Normally traffic is on ports 443 and 902.

A few questions:

• What are you seeing? Is there an error message?
  • What version of vSphere/vCenter/ESXi are you using?
  • Have you downloaded the VMRC standalone application (http://www.vmware.com/go/download-vmrc)? The VMRC plugin has been deprecated along with browser NPAPI support.
0 Kudos
TechExpert
Contributor
Contributor

Dear   ,

1.  its just showing launch console. that's opening in next tab. that was like normal behavior in VMware web-client

2. We are using vsphere 5.5 with latest updates.

3. yes we have download all the patch.

@

0 Kudos
TechExpert
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Ganesh..

we have all port s are opened from ESXi , vcenter IP range to my PC.

0 Kudos
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Re: "... its just showing launch console"

Can you post a screenshot? Is it showing a blank console or displaying an attempt to connect? What's the URL?

If you're using the latest vSphere web client, which supports standalone VMRC, you should see "Launch Remote Console" and "Download Remote Console" in the VM Summary tab:

VMRCinvSphere.png

Otherwise you are using vSphere which supports the older plugin version of VMRC. It may be helpful to look at the recent log entries. Log files can be found on Windows in these locations:

• standalone: %TEMP%\vmware-%USERNAME%\
  • plugin: %TEMP%\vmrc-plugin\
0 Kudos