VMware Cloud Community
Phoung
Contributor
Contributor

What emulex driver to use? HCL? Vendor?

‌I am confused I am setting up new esx hosts with update2 5.5. The emulex driver that was listed in the HCL compatbiology page was included in the rollup ISO. However I attached critical and non critical patches from update manager and now my emulex driver is way newer version than listef in HCL. It is even newer than what is listed for esx 6!!

Who do I trust? Have I broke my system it is still working.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

Hello Phoung,

Please stick to the driver/firmware version mentioned in the VMware HCL for the respective ESXI releases.

For example, if ESXi 5.5 U1 has:

Driver A.x With Firmware 1.x

Driver B.x With Firmware 2.x

Driver C.x With Firmware 3.x

It is advised to stay on these levels of driver/firmware and not upgrade to a different version .

Moving up to a different version might/might not cause an imminent problem.
However, it is a best practice to stick to the recommended releases.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos
Renmo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sometimes vmware HCL is not up to day, you have to check with the server vendor support

What's the server model ?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Taj Aljundi Solution Architect | VMware vExpert 2014-2015 Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tajaljundi
0 Kudos