VMware Communities
HenrytheXth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WS11 Update to V11.1.2 fails on Win 7 Ultimate x64

Because VMware offers by Startup of the WS11 a free update I did try to update my WS11 V11.0.0 to V11.1.2 but the Installation fail with the Error: This product can only be installed on 64bit Windows 7 or newer Operating System.

Error.png

But my Laptop  runs on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit !

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
shivakv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello HenrytheXth,

Please follow the steps below to get the issue resolved :

Step 1 : Shut down / Power off the Virtual Machines running on Workstation and then close the Workstation.

Step 2 : Manually download the VMware Workstation 11.1.2 from the link below :

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=WKST-1112-WIN&productId=462&rPId=8216

Step 3 : Move the Workstation 11.1.2 setup file from downloads to Desktop or any other location.

Step 4 : Now run the setup file to install the Workstation 11.1.2

Please refer the article below for instructions on downloading and installing VMware Workstation :

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2057907

Regards,

Shivakv

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
shivakv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello HenrytheXth,

Please follow the steps below to get the issue resolved :

Step 1 : Shut down / Power off the Virtual Machines running on Workstation and then close the Workstation.

Step 2 : Manually download the VMware Workstation 11.1.2 from the link below :

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=WKST-1112-WIN&productId=462&rPId=8216

Step 3 : Move the Workstation 11.1.2 setup file from downloads to Desktop or any other location.

Step 4 : Now run the setup file to install the Workstation 11.1.2

Please refer the article below for instructions on downloading and installing VMware Workstation :

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2057907

Regards,

Shivakv

0 Kudos
plumeria
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This does not help. After downloading VMware-workstation-full-11.1.2-2780323.exe and executing it as admin, the same error occurs:

0 Kudos
shivakv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi plumeria,

I had similar error and was able to resolve it by running the VMware-workstation-full-11.1.2-2780323.exe from Windows Desktop screen.

So first move the  VMware-workstation-full-11.1.2-2780323.exe  from default Downloads folder to your Windows Desktop screen and then run it as Admin.

Regards,

Shivakv

0 Kudos
plumeria
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, did not help. Moved the "VMware-workstation-full-11.1.2-2780323.exe" to desktop and started it as admin reports the same error:

pastedImage_0.png

The cpmputer is Windows-7 Ulttimate 64bit as displayed in my previous screenshot. Have also tried to reboot the computer but w/o success. Any hint from VmWare support ???

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

Others have reported the same issue, see for example here:

VMWare Workstation update from 11.0 to 11.1 installer reports on Windows 7 64-bit that it needs 64-...

It seems they have been able to work around the issue by first uninstalling the currently installed version of VMware Workstation via Add/Remove Programs in the control panel. (Best to reboot after that to make sure all files are properly removed)

Then install the full version.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello plumeria‌,

For your information, the Community Forum is not an official support-forum and is not actively monitored by VMware Support or Product Managers. This is a community based forum where VMware Workstation users help other users.

To get official support please go to: Workstation Support and open a ticket at Get Support

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
JJoel42
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes but we do lurk on the site and follow issues that look serious.   Unfortunately we do not always provide comments!   Thanks for posting.

0 Kudos
HenrytheXth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello shivakv

Thanks for the good answer!

De-installing the installed version first, restarting and installing the new version V 11.1.2 has worked excellent. No error messages during the installation.

So finally my problem is solved. Thanks

Regards

0 Kudos
plumeria
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, opening a ticket is only possible for paid support in the commercial Workstation Pro - it is unfortunately inpossible to report bugs directly VmWare such as this one.

0 Kudos