VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

how can calculate slot size for esxi

hi

i want enable admission control and i want to use slot for failing my esxi now how can i config slot size ?

how can calculate slot size for each host ?

what is the Formula for slot size ?

i am so confused i read more than 10 article about that but so confused

please help me

Best regards

BAbak

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
3 Replies
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

I highly recommend you read these 2 posts (part 1 & 2): HA Admission Control the basics - Part 1/2 - Yellow Bricks

They will describe what admission control is and help you decide which one to use. All things being equal I'd recommend % based. It is easier to setup, and understand than slot based and it is more flexible and less conservative.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I would highly recommend going with percentage based. Slot based algorythm can be very restrictive, and more often lead to confusion than solving anything.

Nick_Andreev
Expert
Expert

This depends on what you're trying to achieve.

As depping mentioned, slot-based admission control is confusing and is better to be avoided. Percentage-based admission control makes sense only if 100% of VMs in your environment have reservations. I doubt such environments even exist and yours is very unlikely to be one either.

The only use case for Admission Control that I'm aware of is Failover Host. Which you can use to dedicate one or more hosts for failover.

Hope I didn't confuse you even more by this.

---
If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.
VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCAP-CMA | vExpert '16, '17, '18
Blog: http://niktips.wordpress.com | Twitter: @nick_andreev_au
0 Kudos