VMware Communities
jeremymcgill
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to open a Fusion Virtual Machine on a PC?

I am looking to see if it is possible to open a Fusion Virtual Machine Image on my PC.  My PC at home is much more powerful than my MacBook Pro so I am looking to see if I can open my Fusion Virtual Machine image of Window 8 on my PC when I am home.  My image is on a portable HDD so I would be awesome to be able to move back and forth between my MacBook at work and then my PC while at home.

Thank you in advance.

Jeremy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
shivakv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Jeremy,

VMware Fusion (Mac) and VMware Workstation (PC) virtual machines are interchangeable. There is no need to use VMware vCenter Converter when moving a virtual machine between Workstation and Fusion. The virtual disk formats are the same and the virtual machines can be used in either program.

Please refer the article below for more details :

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1002320

Regards,

Shivakv

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

While what shivakv‌ says is true there are some herrings.

First is what kind of file system are you using on the external USB?

You'll need to use a file system that can be shared between both operating systems. FAT32 sounds OK, but realize that nowadays the split disk option can make slices to grow beyond 4GB per slice (which would give you disk corruption when on FAT32)

The maximum size a slice can get depends on the total size of your virtual disk. VMware changed the logic on this in Fusion 7 / Workstation 11. Sorry can't find the specifics on that at this moment. Ok, found it, more details on this -IMO silly change- here: https://communities.vmware.com/thread/498924#2463241

Also note that while the motherboard is virtualized, the CPU is not, so if your CPU is significantly different then you still might have to re-activate windows when switching between Fusion and Workstation.

three... make regular backups!

and lastly if you use things like shared folders realize that your folder structure on the windows host is different from the Fusion host. OS X does not have a concept with C:\ drives etc.. (nor the backslash notation)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos