VMware Communities
martin_salo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

IP Connection problem

Hello Forum,

I'm developing software within a virtual machine. My problem is that the VM doesnt see other computers within the same IP range (ping or telnet connection.)

At work we have two networks: A Wlan network with IP range 192.168.1.x and a cable net with IP range 192.168.2.x.

I come to work and start my Host machine. Wlan and cable are connecting. From the host OS I can ping other computers in both networks. Now I start the VM and within the VM I cant reach the computers in the cable network (ping). Now what I'm doing to solve the problem is: Disconnect the wlan network and reconnect it immediately. Now I can reach the computers in both networks from within the VM. I'm using Windows7 and I have printed the routing table before and after (screenshots) the disconnect: No new routes are inserted. Can someone give me a hint what the disconnect does? Where can I look at the next time?

The VM is in bridged mode. The VM network adapter has a fixed IP from the cable network (no DHCP).

The network adapter in the host machine has also a fixed IP from the cable network. The host machine has no persistent routes or other strange configurations.

The WLAN adapter in the Host machine uses DHCP to get a IP.

Thanks

Martin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How is the Bridged network configured in the Virtual Network Editor. Is it set to "Automatic" (i.e. use one of the physical networks), or is it configured to use a dedicated network adapter (e.g. the cable network)? In case it's set to "Automatic", you may need to change this setting.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How is the Bridged network configured in the Virtual Network Editor. Is it set to "Automatic" (i.e. use one of the physical networks), or is it configured to use a dedicated network adapter (e.g. the cable network)? In case it's set to "Automatic", you may need to change this setting.

André

0 Kudos
martin_salo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are right. Now it works. Thanks a lot Smiley Happy

0 Kudos