VMware Communities
PJRComputerSolu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Questions about Assigning Multiple NICS in an WindowsXP VM Machine HOST/NAT or Bridged???

Hi All,

This is currently the situation. We have a WindowsXP Physical Machine with 5 NICS, All with Static IP's. Only Connected to Internal Networks, No physical Internet Connection is used....

NIC 1 has an IP 10.34.78.241/255.255.255.0 Gateway 10.34.78.2

NIC 2 has an IP 192.168.22.242/255.255.255.0

NIC 3 has an IP 192.168.100.241/255.255.255.0

NIC 4 has an IP 172.27.254.240/255.255.0.0

NIC 5 has an IP 192.168.242.10/255.255.255.252

I have used VMWare Standalone Converter to make a P2V PC, Which works well with the latest version of VMWare Workstation. Everything was ported over successfully. The VM has 5 Networksas per the Original XP Machine.

I have built a Win7 Machine with 5 physical NICS, I assume that to replicate the Original WinXP Machine, I need to Configure the Static IP's of the New NICS as per above & configure the 5 VM NICS to HOST Mode & use the Virtual Network Editor

to Adapt the VM NICS to suit? Or is there a better way to do it?

Cheers for any help & Advice that can be provided...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unless I'm mistaken, you should be able to create a Bridged network (vmnet) for each physical adapter. Please ensure that the first one (which is created by default) is mapped to a dedicated physical NIC rather than Automatic.

André

View solution in original post

7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Assuming that "Only Connected to Internal Networks ..." means your internal physical networks (i.e. not Host-Only), then what you may need to to is to configure 5 Bridged networks using the Virtual Network Editor, each of them using one of the physical network adapters, and connect the VM's virtual adapters to these vmnets.

Adré

0 Kudos
PJRComputerSolu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the reply...

I thought you were only allowed ONE-Bridged Network? When the VMWare Standalone Converter did it stuff, It actually did Convert the Physical NICS to a Bridged Type, When I go into the Virtual Network Editor & Try to Add a Network, i won't allow me to Create any more Bridged One's.....So what TAB do I use to Assign the Various Physical NICS in the New Machine to the Bridged VM NICS?

Cheers

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unless I'm mistaken, you should be able to create a Bridged network (vmnet) for each physical adapter. Please ensure that the first one (which is created by default) is mapped to a dedicated physical NIC rather than Automatic.

André

PJRComputerSolu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes VMnet0 is AUTO-Bridged by Default. I did try this when I was first trying to Configure the NICS, But I was getting a message that only 1 Bridged- Network was allowed, I'll try it again, maybe I was doing something wrong....??

0 Kudos
PJRComputerSolu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Unless I'm mistaken, you should be able to create a Bridged network (vmnet) for each physical adapter. Please ensure that the first one (which is created by default) is mapped to a dedicated physical NIC rather than Automatic."

Spot-On Mate, Managed to Bridge All the Adapters to 5 VMNet's...Strange thing though...It Wouldn't allow me to do it with Workstation Opened...Had to Close the Program & fire-up the Virtual Network Editor on it's Own & then assign the Physical NICS????

0 Kudos
PJRComputerSolu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK,

I've Setup the 5 NICS Bridged to the 5 Physical NICS, I've Set Static IP'S for the 5 Physical NICS, Which Mirrored the "Original" 5 NICS In the WinXP Machine. Then In the Settings of the VM, I've Chosen "Custom" for Each VMNet Adapter & Chosen One of the 5 "Bridged" NICS as per JPEG.

But When I connect the Physical Cables, There is No Activity on the VM VMNet's?

Does anyone know what I'm Doing Wrong??

CheersVNE_New.jpgVNE_2_New.jpg

0 Kudos
PJRComputerSolu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

‌OK,

Was messing about last night & have left the Physical NICS Bridged to each Individually created VMNet, Configured the VMnets to "mirror" the Original NICS Static IP's as per the Original WinXP Physical Installation....

Used arp -a to find out which IP Addresses in the various Internal Networks were unused & Assigned unused one's to the New NICS in the New Win 7 Install...

only managed to check comms on one of the NICS, But could connect using NSM to the VM Machine, so happy that it is working as it should be....

0 Kudos