VMware Communities
mbmast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Updating to Workstation 11.1.2 Breaks Sound in Windows 8.1

After updating from Workstation 11.1.0 to Workstation 11.1.2, sound in all 3 of my Windows 8.1 x64 VMs is distorted.  Prior to the update, while running under Workstation 11.1.0, the sound worked fine.  The host is Windows 7 Pro x64.  Windows 8.1 guest troubleshooting locates no problems.  Any idea what is causing this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mbmast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I created a virgin VM using the Windows 8 ISO and booted it.  Without applying any OS updates, it played audio perfectly.  I then compared the new VM's VMX file against those of the VMs that existed before upgrading Workstation from 11.1.0 to 11.1.2 and discovered that the new VM had this entry that was not present in any of the older VMs:

sound.virtualDev = "hdaudio"

I then added this line to the previously existing VM's VMX file and that restored the sound, thus resolving the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mbmast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I created a virgin VM using the Windows 8 ISO and booted it.  Without applying any OS updates, it played audio perfectly.  I then compared the new VM's VMX file against those of the VMs that existed before upgrading Workstation from 11.1.0 to 11.1.2 and discovered that the new VM had this entry that was not present in any of the older VMs:

sound.virtualDev = "hdaudio"

I then added this line to the previously existing VM's VMX file and that restored the sound, thus resolving the problem.

0 Kudos