VMware Communities
StefanKaptens
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse Pointer Flickers between guest and host

Hello!

First time poster here.

I did a search to see if i could find information about this issue but couldn't find anything.

The problem is as the subject says. The Pointer flickers between the host cursor (OS X 10.10.3) and the guest OS (Windows 7). It only happens when the cursor is moved, and it's highly annoying. No difference if i run in unity mode, single window mode or full screen. The system is an MBP Retina 13, Mid 2014. Anyone experienced this issue that knows how to fix it?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GaneshNetworks

Welcome to VMware community!!!

Make sure that you have installed VMware Tools on your guest (OS X 10.10.3). VMware Tools will slightly improve the guest performance and mouse integration.

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
StefanKaptens
Contributor
Contributor

The host is a MacBook Pro 13 Retina with OS X 10.10.3

The guest (the virtual machine) is a Window 7 system, and it has VM Ware Tools installed as far as I can see. I just installed the update for VMWare Fusion and that updated the VMWare Tools in the Windows 7 system.

Do you mean that there is a separate installation for VMWare Tools that can be installed in the Host, in other words, the Mac where VMWare Fusion is installed?

0 Kudos
GaneshNetworks

My Bad! I got confused with your host and guest machines.

Most probably, it will occur if you have the mouse magnification set above "normal" in Universal Access. Try to change it to "normal". To change it, Go to "Universal Access" and then "Mouse & Trackpad".

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
StefanKaptens
Contributor
Contributor

No worries. Smiley Happy

I can find "Cursor Size" under "Display" in Universal Access. Was set to normal though, and can't find anything that suggest an enlarged mouse cursor in the Mouse and Trackpad settings.

0 Kudos
GaneshNetworks

Try after sliding the slide to (extreme) left corner.

0 Kudos
shivakv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi StefanKaptens,

The VMware Tools is the drivers from VMware for Guest OS and it needs to be installed inside Guest OS (Virtual Machine) . It cannot be installed on Host OS.

Regarding the Mouse flickering issue, can you try changing the Gaming option under VMware Fusion -> Preferences -> General to "Never Optimize Mouse for Games" and check.

In case the issue persists, then you can try disabling the Retina display options under Virtual Machine -> Settings -> Display.

-Automatically adjust user interface size in the virtual machine.

-Use full resolution for Retina display.

Regards,

Shivakv

0 Kudos