VMware Cloud Community
dsohayda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Server 5.5.0 Update 1a Memory Issue

We are running vcenter server 5.5.0 update 1a on a VM with 8x CPU and 24GB of memory. Last year we joined it with another vcenter server using linked mode. My colleague claims he started to notice performance issues in the web client around the time we joined the vcenter servers, but I believe it happened much more recently.

In the guest OS of the vcenter server task manager shows 95% memory usage while the performance graphs of the VM in the vsphere client show very low usage numbers. vROps corroborates these statistics, but performance is definitely suffering as the web client is very slow to respond and the fat client sometimes times-out when trying to connect to the vcenter server.

When installing vcenter server the medium JVM was selected which specifies 100-400 hosts (we have less than 60), and 1000-4000 VMs (we have less than 400).

SQL is installed on a separate VM so it is not a contributing factor to the performance issues. When sorting by memory usage in task manager multiple vpxd and java processes contribute to the majority of the memory consumption.

I opened a ticket with VMware last month regarding this and they found a service account that was hitting the vcenter server more than normal which was causing way too much logging. They pointed to this as being a probable reason for our memory consumption issues, told us to disable it, and closed the ticket. Whats up Gold was the service account, and we have since removed the vcenter server from that monitoring solution. Logging has reduced from what I can tell, but the memory issue persists.

Based on the size of our environment, and the provisioned memory on the VM, I find it hard to believe we are in need of still more memory. I understand in-guest resource information from task manager is not always accurate compared to host-based statistics from the vsphere client, but as I said performance is obviously suffering so something is not right.

I have been looking into upgrading the vcenter server to the latest version, 5.5u2e, but based on the release notes none of the updates between our two versions mention fixing a memory issue similar to ours. Update 2d does mention fixing VMware Directory Service excessively consuming memory, but vmdird.exe does not appear to be contributing to our memory issue.

Has anybody run into a similar issue, and know of a fix that has worked? My colleague thinks moving the web client service to its own VM will help, but based on the topology of vsphere 6 I think our best bet would be to break out the SSO service so that we can work towards an external PSC to allow the enhanced link mode feature once we move to vsphere 6. I don’t know that offloading SSO will help with memory, but I do know it is necessary for enhanced link mode, and based on VMware documentation an external PSC is recommended for large environments. While we do not technically fit that description I would prefer to have the capability to grow into that without having to re-deploy the vcenter server.

Thank you for reading, and for any input you can offer.

Tags (2)
3 Replies
Nithy07cs055
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

• Check for active Virtual machine memory swapping , and swap wait
  • Check for the VM memory compression ,
  • Check which resource pool is demanding high memory and which host has high demand in memory
  • as well give a tough on the VM which is consuming high memory

Verify if the ballooning in enabled , and its best practice to check the the memory parameters on the host and VM to check if everything is normal

SWAP memory to be reclaimed , Swap read , swap write and memory to be reclaimed , this method should narrow you down to the correct point where you are facing issue

Let me know if you need help

memory.JPG

Thanks and Regards, Nithyanathan R Please follow my page and Blog for more updates. Blog : https://communities.vmware.com/blogs/Nithyanathan Twitter @Nithy55 Facebook Vmware page : https://www.facebook.com/Virtualizationworld
0 Kudos
dsohayda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your response. esxtop shows no swapping or compression on the host which is running the vcenter VM.

VMware support has pointed me towards VDP possibly being at fault (what else is new?). Based on this kb it looks like I will need to upgrade to update 2 to allow us to upgrade VDP to 6.0.

VMware KB: VMware VirtualCenter Server memory usage grows when VMware vSphere Data Protection 5.8 is...

They are still investigating our high logging situation as well. I will update if and when they find anything else.

Nithy07cs055
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Good to know that the issue is identified and working towards resolution , Please do update me once you find fix for this. Smiley Happy

Thanks and Regards, Nithyanathan R Please follow my page and Blog for more updates. Blog : https://communities.vmware.com/blogs/Nithyanathan Twitter @Nithy55 Facebook Vmware page : https://www.facebook.com/Virtualizationworld
0 Kudos