VMware Communities
midra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Fusion 7.1.2 and OS X 10.10.3 - Mac Book Pro 15" (mid 2014) crashes when lid is closed for for more than 3 hours

VMWare 7.1.2 cause the OS to crash when it starts after the lid has been closed for more than 3 hours.

I'm running a Mac Book Pro 15" (mid 2014) with 16GB of memory.

There are 3 WMs with W7 Pro. If any of them are running when i close the lid and wait for more than 3 hours the computers main OX crashes with the notice of Sleep Wake Failure. If VMWare is completely shut down (as well as all Windows OS), then the Mac does not crash when asleep overnight. I have checked the transfer power to VM checkbox and all 3D acceleration options are set to OFF on all the WMs.

Earlier I run a Mac Book Pro 17" from early 2011 and Fusion 6 and never experienced any problems but when i changed to the new Mac Book Pro in February these Sleep Wake Failures came immediately. I have read and tried most of the tips from similar posts on the Forum but with no luck.

Yesterday i upgraded to Fusion 7.1.2 with the good hope that it should solve the problem but unfortunately not.

I think that it definitely must be a Apple problem since the OS not should be able to crash due to any thing a application running on the OS could cause even though I guess that Fusion are doing something fishi since it worked fine in earlier versions.

Does anyone have a solution for these crashes - they are driving my mad?

I have attached the crash log in full.

Date/Time:       2015-06-21 02:15:19 +0200

OS Version:      10.10.3 (Build 14D136)

Architecture:    x86_64h

Report Version:  21

Event:           Sleep Wake Failure

Steps:           6

Hardware model:  MacBookPro11,3

Active cpus:     8

Process:         kernel_task [0]

Path:            /System/Library/Kernels/kernel

Architecture:    x86_64

Version:         Darwin Kernel Version 14.3.0: Mon Mar 23 11:59:05 PDT 2015; root:xnu-2782.20.48~5/RELEASE_X86_64

Task size:       739430 pages

CPU Time:        284.889s

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
guidobouman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My bad, added a 0 too much when typing the command. It's on 20 hours for me. =]

200 hours would effectively be disabling the deep sleep / standy mode.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
guidobouman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This happens due to MacBooks entering deep sleep (standy) mode after a couple of hours.

I've set the timeout for this deep sleep mode to 20 hours, which for me works fine during my work week. I just have to remember to shut down VMWare on Friday.

The command to change your deep sleep timeout:

> pmset -a standbydelay 720000

(You'll probably need sudo for this.)

Check all of your power management settings with:

> pmset -g

This doesn't change the fact that OS X entering deep sleep, and writing all of their memory to disk causes a crash when VMWare is running.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Best practice is always to suspend the VM's manually prior to sleeping the machine.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Guido,

I've set the timeout for this deep sleep mode to 20 hours, which for me works fine during my work week. I just have to remember to shut down VMWare on Friday.

The command to change your deep sleep timeout:

> pmset -a standbydelay 720000

(You'll probably need sudo for this.)

If you really have used 720000 as value for that command then you've set it to 200 hours and I'd say you should be fine over the weekend.

The standbydelay option is set in seconds and you are correct that you have to be root to change the value.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
guidobouman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My bad, added a 0 too much when typing the command. It's on 20 hours for me. =]

200 hours would effectively be disabling the deep sleep / standy mode.

0 Kudos
midra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Thanks for the idea. I tried it out and initially it did not seem to work since i had disabled the hibernate mode totally. When i activated that again and changed the timer to actually 84600 which should give me 24 hours the crash has not occurred - Jeyyyyy!

It never happens that the computer is closed for more than 24 hours 🙂

Thanks!

0 Kudos
midra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As I see it the fix with the standby delay timer decrases the problem with the crashes to a level where it is still possible to work.. I have 3 WMs in my environment and I often change my workplace several times a day. It would take to much time to suspend the WMs each time and I also then would loose some of the current VPN connections that I use.

This has been working flawless for 3 years on my old Mac Book Pro 17" so I really hope that Apple and VMWare figures out and solves the problem.

0 Kudos