VMware Cloud Community
hack3rcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Import VM from other products to ESXi 5.5

Hello Experts.

I want to import my VMs from other products to ESXi 5.5. I have a XenServer and want to test my integrity of my Xen and compatibility of it with VMware.

I exported Xen VM to OVF but ESXi can't import it and show me "OVF

15 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Although OVF is an open format, it doesn't necessarily mean that an exported VM from one product can be imported into another product without issues. Please post a list of files and attach the OVF file to a reply post.Also make sure you post the full/exact error message.

André

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Hi,

I think there is no direct route going from Xen to VMware. All you can do is doing a hot clone (V2V) with VMWare converter. Maybe this helps: Migrate XenServer Vm's to ESXi VM's

cykVM

0 Kudos
hack3rcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OVF Descriptor is too large

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The .ovf file should only contain some metadata, i.e. not more than a few kB!? If you exported the VM to an .ova (archive) file, you may use e.g. 7zip to extract the files.

André

0 Kudos
petervu32
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys,

Slightly on-topic, can we deploy an OVF image generated from ESXi v5.5 to ESXi v6.0 platform? Or an OVF from ESXi v6.0 to ESXi v5.0? Please advise.

0 Kudos
C0mm4nd3r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

OVF from Citrix and VMware are different.

You can do this with Oracle VirtualBox.

1. Export OVF and VHD from XenCenter

2. Create a new VM in VirtualBox and use the existing VHD

3. Export OVA

4. Import OVA in vSphere

Regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos
C0mm4nd3r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

you can deploy a OVF from v5.5 on v6.0 without problems.

If you want to deploy a OVF from v6.0 on a v5.5 platform, your VM must be version 10 or lower. Not version 11.

Before you export a OVF, check always if there are no ISOs mounted on the VM.

Regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos
petervu32
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Patrick! Is there something you can link me to confirm that ovf fwd/backward compatibility? I've been searching the VMWare site/forums and can't really find anything.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
C0mm4nd3r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

it is not of interest whether you import/export a VM as VMDK or as OVA/OVF. Only the version of the VM is important.

See here: vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center

Regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos
petervu32
Contributor
Contributor

Got it. So if I want to deploy an OVF image generated from ESXi v5.5 to a platform ESXi v5.0, I just need to make sure the v.5.0 platform VM is version 8 or lower (as VM v.9, v.10 and v.11 not supported)?

0 Kudos
C0mm4nd3r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

H‌ere some examples:

- Export a VM8 from 5.5 and import to 5.0 > works

- Export a VM9 or VM10 from 5.5 and import to 5.0 > works NOT

- Export a VM8 from 5.0 and import to 5.5 > works

I hope that will help you.

Regards

Patrick

0 Kudos
petervu32
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again again.

0 Kudos
petervu32
Contributor
Contributor

>Export a VM8 from 5.5 and import to 5.0 > works

>Export a VM9 or VM10 from 5.5 and import to 5.0 > works NOT

>Export a VM8 from 5.0 and import to 5.5 > works

Last question: So what's the quickest/best way to verify the VM version?

0 Kudos
C0mm4nd3r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Click on the VM. There is a field "VM-Version".

Other possibility for the whole datacenter: Click on the datacenter > tab "virtual machines" > Right mouse click on "name" > Click on "VM-Version".

Now you can see the VM-Version of all VMs.

0 Kudos
petervu32
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again for the responses Patrick. I was hoping to get another tip from you on how to or the best way to check or test these two cases/instances:

> Deploy an OVF image generated from ESXi v5.5 to platform ESXi v6.0 (OVF can be VM10 to VM4)

> Deploy an OVF image generated from ESXi v6.0 to platform ESXi v5.5 (OVF must be VM10 or lower)

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos