Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Shared folders no more connected after a Windows update

Hello everyone

First post here, hope you're well

I'm nay-seven working for music software, testing Windows 10 on a Mac 10.8.5

After the last Windows update today, some strange results on Vmware side:

the folders on my desktop can't be opened anymore, a mouse over them say "empty folder" and a double click has no result ( can't even delete them)

i also notice a second shortcut on my destktop named " shared folders vmware(1) "

if i open the windows files browser i see a red cross on the "shared folders( \\vmware-host)(Z:) " if i try to open it  a message say " Z: is not accessible...

if someone can help me on this issue, my appz works but this false desktop is a bit annoying :smileyblush:

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello nayseven‌,

The same issue has been reported for Windows 10 under Workstation 11 and the user down there resolved it by re-installing VMware Tools.

The correct way to do that is to uninstall VMware Tools -> reboot guest OS -> install VMware Tools -> reboot guest OS.

The repair option doesn't always work and might not resolve this.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello nayseven‌,

The same issue has been reported for Windows 10 under Workstation 11 and the user down there resolved it by re-installing VMware Tools.

The correct way to do that is to uninstall VMware Tools -> reboot guest OS -> install VMware Tools -> reboot guest OS.

The repair option doesn't always work and might not resolve this.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
nayseven
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Whaoo, that 's what i call a fast and cool answer

Thanks a lot , works perfectly ! Smiley Happy

have a nice day

0 Kudos
VirtualMac2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Wow. Worked after updating Windows 10 to Anniversary on Fusion 8. Many thanks!

BoukeYT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, solved my Shared Folder issue on Windows 10 Anniversary Update / Fusion 8.1.1 as well!

0 Kudos
StefanoSka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Useful.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
VirtualMac2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Also worked with Windows 10 on VMware Fusion 11.1.0 (13668589) on macOS 10.12.6 (16G2016) Sierra just selecting "Virtual Machine - Install VMware Tools - Repair". I usually select the "Modify" default but since I did it a few days ago and the problem arose, this time I selected "Repair" instead and fixed it as said.

0 Kudos