VMware Modern Apps Community
sdetweil
Contributor
Contributor

need dhclient or udhcpc inside photon

my containers need to appear on the local lan. (the app being run calls back to the requestor with the source IP address, so it must be addressable)

I have built a docker/pipework process to do that, but have found a problem with guests running under virtualization software VMWare player/workstation, and others)..

(pipework on github)

when the container starts, it needs to get its ip address from the dhcp server that is the same as the one used by the photon host.

the dhcp-request goes out correctly, the dhcpr-offer comes back from the dhcp server, but the container never sees the response.

I believe this is because the virtual network driver doesn't realize the mac address for the mac vlan interface in the container is part of its job, and so

doesn't pickup and pass the packet up to the container.

does photon have the same trouble?

I tried to move this process from my local physical host to my company environment, running all virtual under vsphere, and cannot make it work.

I can recreate locally. (using both ubuntu and centos 7 as VM Workstation guests).

use your favorite container, which doesn't require networking to start (need to be root or use sudo for following commands)

Dockerfile

from ubuntu

cmd tail -f /var/log/bootstrap.log

docker build -t foo .

testcase

docker run --net=none --name=test --privileged foo

bash -x pipework eth0 -i eth1 test dhcp

this will hang at the invocation of the dhclient

to run pipework on photon will need dhclient.. can't find thru yum

edit: I downloaded and built dhclient 4.3.2., photon exhibits the same problem..

so this is really upstream from the guests

Message was edited by: sdetweil just added info about similar tests on photon

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sdetweil
Contributor
Contributor

the answer is that the guest machine adapter needs to be set into promiscuous mode.

both Ubuntu and Centos worked ok, haven't got Photon working yet

0 Kudos