VMware Communities
todivefor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Truecrypt container on shared disk

I am currently running Windows 7 with Parallels on Mac OS X 10.10.3 (Yosemite).  This is on a 2012 macbook Pro.  I am trialling Fusion 7.   I ran Fusion for years back in the V3/4 days.  Switched to Parallels for some reason I don't recall and now reviewing that decision.

I backup sensitive data to a truecrypt container on a shared disk.  Sometimes the backup works and other times not.  Usually, if I dismount and remount the container it will work.  I have tried saving a file to the container and then deleting it.  I sometimes get file handle error on the delete, but it ends up deleting.  I vaguely remember having a similar problem in my past that was resolved.  This works perfectly on Parallels.  Sorry for so few details.

Everything else seems to work seamlessly, albeit, I perceive a little slower.

Macbook Air M1, Ventura 13.5, Fusion Player 2023 TP
3 Replies
todivefor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Having no results here, I opened a support request (15684906306).  I was told that if I did not have a support contract, they could not help me.  I told him I did not have a support contract as I was trialling the product.  I also said this was a deal breaker and I would have to stay with parallels.  He asked to setup a time he could call.  I said 9 DST.  He called at 4:37pm.  I said NYC time.  After about a week, he finally called at the correct time and got me.  He said he wanted to close the problem.  WTF!  Guess I will stick with parallels.

Macbook Air M1, Ventura 13.5, Fusion Player 2023 TP
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It's likely a problem with MacFuse, which is what TrueCrypt uses to simulate a file system.  The version that comes with the Truecrypt download is out of date, and has been replaced by OSXFuse.  You could try upgrading.

Though, you could also use an encrypted DMG file instead, which would be more compatible.  Truecrypt is essentially abandoned, and may stop working in a future OSX update.

Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,

I'm really sorry you had that experience, but I'd like to see if I can still help

If you're still looking at this, please feel free to email me directly.

mroy@vmware.com

Thanks,

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos