VMware Cloud Community
ecorban
Contributor
Contributor

Updaing virtual machine thats configured with non-persistent disk

Hi

I have configured an virtual machine with an single non-persistent disk. My virtual machine is working fine. however, i now find that if i want to apply updates to the virtual machine

and reboot all changes are lost. Is there a way to update the machine thats configured with an non-persistent disk so as to keep the OS updates post reboot ?

Thanks

eddie

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sannsan
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think we can achieve this with single non-persistent disk configured cos Non-persistent – The disk appears to operate normally, but whenever the virtual machine is powered off or reverted to a snapshot, the contents of the disk return to their original state. All later changes are discarded.

I guess this can help you try it :

First Create a Normal HDD and install os and install required application. Then shutdown the VM. Go to edit setting and change the disk type to independent and non persistence.

now when ever the VM is powered OFF and ON it will come with the Base OS and app which we installed before converting the disk to independent non presistence.

mrclean1075
Contributor
Contributor

Once the disk is set to non- persistent, no permanent changes can be made.  The machine will need to be powered down and the hard disk will need to be placed into persistent or Dependent mode. Once the needed changes have been made to the OS (Updates, etc...), the machine will need to be powered back off and the hard disk will need to be set back to non-persistent.

there is no way to update the machine while in non-persistent mode that I know of.

Mr. Clean
0 Kudos