VMware Cloud Community
pboguszewski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Linux liagentd not following after a log rotate?

I am running the newest version of the Linux rpm for the agent on our Red Hat 6.x servers.  It appears as though the agent stops monitoring log files after they are rotated.  I bounce the service and the agent picks up the new log file(s) and 'catches up' by massively ingesting the new files.  It is appears as though I need to bounce the service on all servers after the logrotate cron job.  I am investigating exactly when this started happening and whether or not it is only in my custom application directories.  Please let me know if this is common or if there is something I am doing incorrectly.  Here is an example of my application log section in the liagent.ini file that was not working after rotation:

[filelog|cms-qa_apache]

directory=/cms-qa/logs/apache/

include=*log

Thanks for any help!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

This is a known issue and a fix is being worked on . In the meantime can you please share the exact version of the agent and the agent logs if possible ?

Thanks,

-Yogita.

0 Kudos
pboguszewski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Agent Build     : 2.5.0.2347850

Is there a private message ability to send the logs?  Should I open a case?

Is it suggested to downgrade the agent to get things working again?

Thanks,

Pete

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for the agent build number. No you do not need to open a case, I asked for logs just to be sure this is not a case other than what we have seen before. We do not support a downgrade, but you can uninstall the current agent and re-install the older agent version that was working well for you.

As for uploading logs , use FTP or HTTPS to ftpsite.vmware.com using any of the methods in http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2070100

Thanks for reporting the issue.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

On the ftp site you can create a folder with your username and today's date  or my username and today's date.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Actually if it makes it easier for you please open a case and attach the logs there, and post the case number here and I'll get it from there.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
pboguszewski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I opened SR # 15675842705

I just uploaded one of the logs to the ftp site.  Please let me know if you would like more information or log files.

Thanks,

Pete

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Ok will do thanks for the SR number and the logs.

-Yogita.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Closing the loop on this thread. The logrotate configuration used the copytruncate scheme to rotate its log files, which copies a file's content to a new log file and truncates the original log file to zero size. The copytruncate scheme is not supported by the Log Insight 2.5 Agent. It is recommended to use the default scheme of renaming the original file followed by creating a new one. See http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2120230

0 Kudos