VMware Edu & Cert Community
nem1s1s
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCP5-DCV from vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6] course

Am I still eligible for the VCP5-DCV exam if I attend the vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6] course?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No. Look on the VCP5-DCV page and you will only see vSphere 5 training as meeting the training requirement, not vSphere 6 training.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
nem1s1s
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So, VCP5-DCV involves 1 exam - VCP510 OR VCP550. I iunderstand that, it's quite clear.

(VCP5-DCV) VCP-Data Center Virtualization

VCP6-DCV involves 2 exams? Complete the vSphere 6 Foundations Beta Exam AND Complete the VMware Certified Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization Beta Exam

VCP6-DCV Certification

0 Kudos
nem1s1s
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does holding the VCA-DCV in v5 hold any value towards VCP6? i.e; not having to take the Foundations exam for v6 training?

http://up2v.nl/2015/02/04/vmware-certification-roadmap-2015-vcp6-now-requires-two-exams/

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Click the "Migration Paths" tab from the VCP6-DCV Certification link you posted for details.

André

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, it's VCP510 or VCP550 for VCP5-DCV.

Yes, it's 2V0-620 and 2V0-621 for VCP6-DCV.

Here's a third choice: VCP510 or VCP550, then 2V0-621D - that would give you VCP5-DCV and VCP6-DCV, as long as you train on vSphere 5.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No, the VCA counts for nothing towards VCP exams.

0 Kudos
nem1s1s
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So essentially, to obtain the VCP6-DCV, you will also receive VCA6-DCV?

I can only see BETA exams listed at the moment for VCP6-DCV?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No, the VCA and VCP are totally independent - you can just be a VCA, or you can just be a VCP (or you can of course be both but only if you've met the independent requirements of each)

Yes, the VCP6-DCV exams are in beta at the moment - til about the end of May. The final exams should be released soon after.

0 Kudos
nem1s1s
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any reason why VMware went from 1 to 2 exams for the VCP cert?

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

Having two exams pulls all of the common-to-all-exams vSphere information out into one initial exam so that the second is dedicated to the technology.

Originally, the Desktop and Cloud VCP-level exams required VCP4-DCV or VCP5-DCV, giving those two tracks two exams.  Then appropriate vSphere content was added into later VCP exams in those tracks, making them longer but dropping the VCPx-DCV requirement.  To keep things even the VCP5-DCV exams were extended.

Which meant if you wanted VCPs in DCV, Cloud and Desktop you were going to study and get questions on the same core vSphere knowledge with each exam.

Now, the exams are set up more logically - studying one topic at a time and if you are going for VCP in multiple tracks you don't need to repeat the same vSphere content each time..

0 Kudos
nem1s1s
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So is this the official word from VMware why they've increased the exams from 1 to 2?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I don't know about "official word", but it is the reasoning behind the change.

0 Kudos