VMware Workspace ONE Community
sharrigan
Contributor
Contributor

External Access to Horizon View using Workspace 2.1

Hello,

I am currently deploying VMware Horizon View 6 and VMware Horizon Workspace 2.1.1

We want to be able to access View Desktop Pools and Applications running on RDS servers.

The plan is to make this accessible internally and externally.

We are currently running the load balancing solution from Big IP F5 using LTM and APM. (version 11.6 HF4)

We have deployed the F5 iApp template for view version 1.2.1 and are not using View Security Servers.

Here is a list of things we have achieved thus far:

- VMware Horizon View 6 fully functional internally going through the F5 for both RDSH and View Pools.

- VMware Horizon Workspace 2.1.1 is fully functional internally going through the F5 for both RDSH Apps and View Pools

- VMware Horizon View 6 is fully functional externally going through the F5 for both RDSH and View Pools.

- VMware Horizon Workspace 2.1.1. is accessible externally however we are unable to open any apps or view pools.

The view client URL is setup using split DNS

The external F5 access to view is using an APM to authenticate users (created by the iApp).

The internal F5 access to view is not using an APM and is authenticated by the View Connection Server.

My theory is that when Workspace attempts to perform the SAML authentication using the View Client the F5 APM doesn't understand the SAML request and is forcing a fail.

I've tried having the external VIP on the F5 pass through directly to the View Connection server however the RDS Apps still dont work and the View Pool gets stuck with a black screen and then disconnects.

Can anyone assist with what the correct F5 configuration needs to be in order to open RDSH application and View Pools externally?

Thanks

Stephen Harrigan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Basvdijk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Stephen,

You must use VMware Security server with correct SSL and FQDN.

Workspace portal is not a replacement of the security server.

Bas

0 Kudos