VMware Cloud Community
nobodyvm
Contributor
Contributor

How to map Windows disk id to a datastore?

ESX 5.0

Hi,

How can I map a disk id (which I get from diskpart) to a datastore?

Regards

Nobodyvm

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

Disk is present by the ESXi to window is raw disk while creating the VM. Once you deploy window on this it will create the partition on that.  So mapping will we done by vmfs5 file system. which is part of the filesystem vmfs5.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
nobodyvm
Contributor
Contributor

So there are no way?

Regards

N

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

Just to confirm what you are asking...because that may be the issue...

You are asking if inside the guest shows (inside of diskpart), DISK 0, you want to know which datastore that correlates too?

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
nobodyvm
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, that is correct. Im having trouble with some Simpana restore test. The diskpart is run on the media server for our backup solution. It seems that the datastores are mapped to the media server (they are offline, of course) are readonly. So the media server cant write the restore to the datastore.

Instead of changing every disk to write/read I would like to see which disk in disk part correlates to which datastore in Vmware.

Regards

N

0 Kudos
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

if you are asking for which VM is using the which datastore than that thing you find out easily but the Disk of VM maps to which sector of datastore that is not possible from the esxi.

and your requirement is some what need to RDM. i feel because you want the control over the disk.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
chandra_bhatt
Contributor
Contributor

If I understood your question correctly you are trying to Converting disk information in a VM into the actual LUN information.

If yes please check this link: http://www.50mu.net/2014/03/12/how-to-translate-windows-disk-ids-to-storage-arrays-luns/

0 Kudos