VMware Cloud Community
vinod_sikka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter upgrade 5.5 to 6.0 fails

Trying to upgrade vcenter from 5.5 U1 to 6.0 on a w2k8r2 VM but it got failed with error message "installation of 5.x products failed with error code '1612'". 

I have attached the logs.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vinod_sikka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The problem was with the web client, We tried to manually remove all 5.5 components from Add / Remove one by one and it prompts for the missing 'vsphere webclient.msi' during the webclient un- installation.

I used the Microsoft fixit to remove the component forcefully and install it again manually and then run the upgrade successfully.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
brunofernandez1
Jump to solution

it could be a problem with your source

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
0 Kudos
vinod_sikka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I used the same installer on my lab and it worked but it did not work on this one.

0 Kudos
vervoortjurgen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

hi

there is something wrong with your SSO i think

try updating to vSphere 5.5 U2 so you have an error free vsphere 5.5 environment

then upgrade to vsphere 6

if your database server is on another system i would start with new server to install vsphere 6 on if possible ofcourse

or start using vCenter virtual appliance

there is a good fling migration to vCVA

vCenter server to vCenter Virtual Appliance convertor – VCS to VCVA convertor | VDS System...

with regards

kind regards Vervoort Jurgen VCP6-DCV, VCP-cloud http://www.vdssystems.be
0 Kudos
vinod_sikka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The problem was with the web client, We tried to manually remove all 5.5 components from Add / Remove one by one and it prompts for the missing 'vsphere webclient.msi' during the webclient un- installation.

I used the Microsoft fixit to remove the component forcefully and install it again manually and then run the upgrade successfully.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

0 Kudos