3 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2015 9:14 AM by YHGfL

Backing up multiple VMs on a number of ESXi Servers

YHGfL Lurker

Dear all

We have a small estate of ESXi servers running version 5.xxxx of vmware and using the ghettoVCB script, I am having issues with some of the cronjobs not running.

It is my belief this may be that the script is trying to run on a new host when the other VM has not finished on another host.

I noticed this when I tried a manual forced backups when another host was performing a backup...

# /vmfs/volumes/DanielSAN2/Backups/ghettoVCB-master/ghettoVCB.sh -g /vmfs/volumes/DanielSAN2/Backups/ghettoVCB-master/ghettoVCB.conf -f /vmfs/volumes/DanielSAN2/Backups/ghettoVCB-master/$(hostname -s).backup.daily -l /vmfs/volumes/DanielSAN2/Backups/logs/ghettoVCB-backup.$(hostname -s).$(date +%Y-%m-%d).log -d dryrun

-ash: /vmfs/volumes/DanielSAN2/Backups/ghettoVCB-master/ghettoVCB.sh: Device or resource busy

Is there a way to run more than one instance from multiple hosts? would simply creating a number of script files get around this issue or is the -w switch used for this purpose? I couldn't seem to find am example but it certainly seems I can only set off one process at a time and I think that's part of the problem. Any help would be appreciated...

Many thanks

Nathan