VMware Cloud Community
VickyPune
Contributor
Contributor

Host X.X.X.X is not compatible with the VDS version

Hi,

We recently upgraded our ESXi to 6.0 process was successful, When we try to upgrade VDS from 5.5 to 6.0, for some hosts it gives error as Host x.x.x.x is not compatible with the VDS version.

These ESXi are on 6.0 like other hosts, I could not find detail error  logs, which tells cause for same.

Let me know where I can find error logs.

Thanks,

Tags (2)
3 Replies
dadopap
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same problem, I have vcenter 6 and I upgraded one host from esxi 5.1 to 5.5 and when adding the host to a VDS ESXi 5.5 compatible, it says the host is incompatible, without giving any explanation on why this happens.

Any help on this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Sergey_eXPert
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

I faced this issue as well. Main rteason why you can face it: You have upgrade vDS or just created new one with default setting, and that's the point.

By default vCenter uses latest version of vDS, so in case if you are using vSphre 6, vDS will be version 6 as well.

But you may have not upgraded ESXi image that is used to boot server to latest version (6 in this example)

So main reason to see this error - if you have ESXi version lower than vDS version.

Two possible solutions:

1) upgrade ESXi images to the same version as vDS

2) recreate vDS with -version parameter and specify it to be the same version as your ESXi image

Best regards,

Sergey Sypalo

0 Kudos
Mnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If anyone else runs into this problem. A solution can be found here:

https://vm.knutsson.it/2018/04/host-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-is-not-compatible-with-the-vds-version/

0 Kudos