3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2015 12:40 PM by SavkoorSuhas

add VMDK to another VM

fborges555 Enthusiast

Hi gurus

I have a  VM 2003  that has two(2) VMDK, I have created a new VM 2008 R2 and I would like to add one of the old VMDK to the new VM, is this possible? and if it is, what are my steps in order to accomplish this.

Thanks a bunch

• 1. Re: add VMDK to another VM
          weinstein5 Guru
          User Moderators

Yes it is but first you will have to remove the VM from the original VM - one it is removed from the new VM you will go into edit settings and add storage - one of the options will be use existing VMDK - browse to the locatioin wher eth VMDK and add it to the new VM

Did you mean to post your question to the VMware Server forum?

• 2. Re: add VMDK to another VM
            fborges555 Enthusiast

W.

Thanks for the prompted reply and jumping in, and yes I did posted here, where do you suggest I go with this line of question in the near future.

do you mean remove the VMDK from the old VM right? the HDD that is attached to that vmdk?

Thanks a bunch for your help again, I just did not know where to post this kind of VM question at this time.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: add VMDK to another VM
              SavkoorSuhas Expert
              vExpert

Yes, this is possible:

1. Right click the first VM > Edit Settings > Required Hard Disk > Remove > Remove from Virtual machine. (Do not select delete files)

2. Right click the second VM >Edit Settings > Add > Existing Hard Disk > Browse the datastore where the VMDK for the first VM was residing.

3. Select and specify a SCSI controller of your choice and Click OK.

4. Open console of VM and verify.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.