VMware Horizon Community
whibr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vGPU frame buffer over-provisioning

Is it possible to over provision the frame buffer memory allocated to a pool of vm's?  For example, if I have two K2 cards in my server for a total of 16384MB frame buffer. 

The NVIDIA GRID quick start guide shows the following choices to assign a desktop in vSphere 6.  I am using Horizon View 6.1. 

frame-buffer-choices.png

So, if I stay within the physical limits of frame buffer and I want to assign 1024MB to each desktop, I can then only provision 16 desktops.

But, can I over provision the frame buffer assignments, by creating a pool of say 24 desktops, each with 1024MB assigned?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
whibr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think I was able to answer my own question...which apparently is Yes, as long as you don't need to power on more VM's than the physical resources can support.

I tested this by making only one GPU available to assign as a "Shared PCI Device".  I edited two desktop vm to use the grid_k280q profile (4096MB frame buffer).  I was then only able to power on one VM.  Attempt to power on the second VM resulted int this error:

vgpu-resource-error.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
whibr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think I was able to answer my own question...which apparently is Yes, as long as you don't need to power on more VM's than the physical resources can support.

I tested this by making only one GPU available to assign as a "Shared PCI Device".  I edited two desktop vm to use the grid_k280q profile (4096MB frame buffer).  I was then only able to power on one VM.  Attempt to power on the second VM resulted int this error:

vgpu-resource-error.png

0 Kudos