VMware Horizon Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

VMware Thinclient FAQ (for beginners)

What are zero clients and thin clients you ask? No, they’re not skinny customers, they are hardware devices which rely on the server to do most of the work while they serve merely to deliver input and output back and forth for the user.

Our research tells us many of you are wondering about zero clients and thin clients; their differences and function. Read on as we explain your client options for VMware Horizon View.

Continue on to the Support Insider blog article: VMware Thinclient FAQ

0 Kudos
1 Reply
gmtx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Rick,

That's a nice FAQ, but for a beginner reading the FAQ and trying to decide what endpoint might be right for them, I'm not sure you fully convey some of the downsides to zero clients.

For example, one of the two negatives listed for zeros is more complicated USB support. Agreed, but that's really just a symptom of dedicated hardware limitations with zeros and doesn't fully address what you're really giving up, and that's the ability to add any software-based improvements that rely on more general-purpose hardware - things like RTAV today for example, and who knows what else tomorrow. With zeros, you are stuck in time at whatever the hardware supports when you buy it, and I'm living that scenario right now. I've got a bunch of zeros here that are just over two years old, and while I love the management and simplicity of them - and my auditors love the security - we are looking at replacing them all because our business needs have changed and the zeros can't. That's a pretty big deal, and if I had gone with thin clients I wouldn't be in this position.

Another downside of zeros is being dependent on Teradici's development cycle, not VMware's, so any improvements that are able to be added to zeros take much longer to show up than they do in the software client. Add in the syncing problems between VMware releases and Teradici releases, where you're not able to update your VMware ESX/View environment until Teradici gets around to updating firmware/drivers, and you have another factor to consider if you go with zeros.

So a nice FAQ, but I think you need to expand on the limitations of zero clients. I know I would have chosen differently if I knew then what I know now.

Geoff

0 Kudos