VMware Cloud Community
behlaucarlos
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Hypervisor 6 - VMware Tools is rolled back on Windows 2008 R2 (x64) that was migrated from VMware Player

Hello VMware Gurus,

over the weekend I installed VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.0.

I migrated a VMware instance, from VMware Player, via VMware Converter.

When I try to upgrade the VMware Tools, at the end - it is rolling back the actions.

The instance OS = Microsoft Windows 2008 Server x64 R2 (with latest patches).

I also tried to uninstall the VMware Tools successfully before and after uninstallation run the installation again (with reboot of course).

It is still rolling back the VMware Tools at the end.

I checked the system, application logs of the OS instance for the reason, why the installation wasn’t a success, but couldn’t not find a cause reported there.

Where is VMware Tools writing the logs, so I can search VMware KB and or this forum for solution?

In case someone already had the same issue and found a solution, many thanks for sharing …

Best regards

Carlos Behlau

24 Replies
KurtSchmidt
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue. Migrated as infrastructure VM with HW version 8.0 (so I could use the C# client).  Microsoft Windows 2008 Server x64 R2 guest. ESXi 6.0 . VMware Tools rolls back every time. Have disabled all non necessary services. No AV or Firewall currently running on the guest. Rebooted. The failure is persistent. No tools.conf is ever created.

0 Kudos
Mjah01
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. I have upgraded from 5.5 to 6.0 and cannot upgrade my VMware Tools(roll back at the end of the installation). OS 2008R2.

I have also noticed that i am unable to install VMware Tools on a fresh Windows Server 2008R2 install during OSD deployment.

When i use VMware tools version 9.4.11.2400950 the OSD deployment is working.

edit.

I have attached a log file from a vmware tools upgrade from version 9.4.11(5.5) to version 9.10(6.0) you can use.

Please keep us posted.

0 Kudos
projectserve
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Got same problem but with a fresh install of Windows 7 and/or Windows 2012 R2 on vSphere 6.0

0 Kudos
Mjah01
Contributor
Contributor

Did you guys deployed this fresh install also with SCCM? I have a support case open right now and did some tests on my own.

Systems that have or had the SCCM client are having this problem in my situation.

Will keep you posted on any updates.

0 Kudos
cdomingo
Contributor
Contributor

The same here, installed a fresh windows 8.1 install. VMware Tools 9.4.11 build-2400950 works ( ESX5.5 U2 tools)

But the newer version that comes with ESX 6.0 VMware Tools 9.10.0 build 2476742 don't work.

The install is rollbacked at the end of the installation.

Also tried in Windows Server 2012 R2...same result

In CentOS 7 the new Tools that come with ESX 6.0 are working as they should.

Regards

0 Kudos
ainci
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem with a Windows server 2008 R2.

0 Kudos
Mjah01
Contributor
Contributor

Is the OS language you use native English or any other language? I have noticed that in my case a Native DUTCH 2008R2 SP1 OS the installation does a rollback. Also a native English with a DUTCH MUI pack does a rollback.

When i do the same on a Native English 2008R2 SP1 OS everything works.

0 Kudos
cina73
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm that setting languages to USA - English (please apply to default profile and login screens too) helps preventing rollback.

Note: this was also a misterious problem (and same solution) with recent java VM installs on Windows 8.1. - Probably Microsoft issue?

Regads,

Zsolt

0 Kudos
ainci
Contributor
Contributor

For me is a german language instalation. I will give it a try.

Regards,

Adrian

=======================

The change to english worked also for me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
KurtSchmidt
Contributor
Contributor

Checking in for a status on this. Native English install. I tried making all of the features unavailable and it still rolls back. So I don't believe it is any particular driver package causing this. Not sure it makes a difference but the .vmdk files I'm testing with are stored on vmfs SSD .

0 Kudos
Mjah01
Contributor
Contributor

in my case VMware support was able to reproduce the issue with a Dutch 2008R2 SP1 installation. The issue has been forwarded to the engineering team. Because it is at the code level a solution can take some weeks.

I would recommend when you are in ESXi 6 to install the VMWare tools from ESXi5.5 when having this problem.

0 Kudos
Jeroen235
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can confirm the rollback issue. but only on the 64-bit version of windows 7 in our case.

We are building a "golden image" using SCCM task sequence, and the Windows 7 32 bit version (with dutch language pack) installs fine.

When using the windows 7 64-bit version with the same update / hotfix level and language pack the VMware tools install does a rollback.

After doing some research we discovered the following in the vmmsi.log:

- The installation logs contain the following after a return value 3:

ERR_UNSUPPORTED_OS = This program requires that you have Windows XP or greater 64-bit operating system

and ERR_UNSUPPORTED_OS_32 = This program requires that you have windows 2000 or greater 32-bit operating system

Further more we noticed the installation tries to set read only permissions on a .pem file for the group everyone using cacls.exe

When using cacls.exe on a localized version of windows, the group name change with the language. In our case it was 'Iedereen' instead of 'everyone'. This causes the cacls.exe to fail the action and is logged in the vmmsi.log.

However when setting the language to English the error is no longer logged.

0 Kudos
mabevm
Contributor
Contributor

---- workaround ----

Same issue here.

I have installed the custom HP image of vSphere 6 (build 2494585) in our lab environment.

When installing the tools (the version supplied with the vSphere build) on a fresh VM running Windows 7 Professional NL, the installation rolls back at the end.

Found that simply adding a group "Everyone" and adding the logged on user to the newly created group provides a workaround.

Seems like a localization issue (not the first time).

0 Kudos
DutchMarcel
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm the above workaround. Thank you mabevm for saving me a lot of time !

0 Kudos
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

I have never face such scenario but I want to try this in my test lab and see

For the time being you can use this KB 1003908.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
mbagmeijer
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Mabevm for the workaround. Works for me on my Dutch Win 8.1.

0 Kudos
jvanmourik
Contributor
Contributor

This also works with Windows XP and Windows 7 32 bit.

0 Kudos
khipple
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what fixed the "rolling back" problem for me:

Use "Run as administrator" to open a command prompt then enter the command:

assoc .vbs=VBSFile

Ken

jplVMware
Contributor
Contributor

Kept searching for a long time, but your answer definitely solved it for me. Thanks!

0 Kudos