VMware Cloud Community
fduranti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vROPS 6 customizing email alerting

It's possible to customize the alerting email vrops 6 send out?

I would like to change the subject and message mostly to make the subject more clean and the message smaller as it reports also many thing that I don't need on the alerting.

I also have the possibility to send sms via email but I need to create some kind of template for them that is really "small" to send only the relevant error.

Anyone know how those thing can be done?

I've saw that in the folder /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/user/plugins/outbound/vcops-standard-email-plugin/conf there's a emailfilter.xml file that seems to tell vrops what kind of template it should use and a folder default_templates with email templates but I've not found any documentation on how to modify those.

Anyone can help me on this?

Thanks

Francesco

0 Kudos
3 Replies
HealthIsWhy
Contributor
Contributor

I am also looking for an answer to this.  I was told by VMWare support that it is possible but that I would need to talk to my account manager and get direction from him, which seems a bit silly.

The support issue that I was having didn't have anything to do with alerts so I didn't push the issue. 

I thought I would look around here to see if anyone else had come across a way to do this.

0 Kudos
ronltaylor
Contributor
Contributor

You have to use the REST API in vrops.  Go to https://[your vrops server address]/suite-api/docs/rest/index.html.  Then in here do a search for email templates.  You will need a REST client.  They have add ins for Firefox and chrome.

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I was just about to ask the same question again. I asked several months ago and got crickets back. I just upgraded to 6.0.2 and still can't find a way to change something as seemingly simple as the order of the variables in the alert subject line.

We would like to see system name FIRST and the rest of the stuff after. If you get these alerts on a phone like many of us do, you don't see relevant information at a glance.. just another darn alert about something.

Subject: updated alert  Type:Network, Sub-Type:Availability, State:immediate, Object Type:HostSystem, Name:ImportantSystemIcareabout!

Hopefully somebody on the project team will see the need to make this customizable for us non propeller heads!

Ron

0 Kudos