VMware Cloud Community
vinay1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM snapshots fails at 95%

Hi Guys,

I have a VM with guest Windows server 2008R2 on ESXi 5.5. I am using a Netbackup to backup these VMs. while running the backup for this VM, the backup fails and when i check in the vCenter Server, the below error observed.

An error occurred while taking a snapshot: msg.snapshot.error-QUIESCINGERROR.

An error occurred while saving the snapshot: msg.snapshot.error-QUIESCINGERROR.

Please assist at the earliest.

regards

VK

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What you may try as a first step is to run vssadmin list writers from the command line on the Windows server to see whether any of the VSS writers shows errors.

André

0 Kudos
vinay1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ,

Checked by running the command and found "Last error: No Error" reported with all writer names.

regards

VK

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Are there an errors/warnings in the Windows Event Logs (or other Windows/backup log files) regarding VSS issues like e.g. timeouts?

André

0 Kudos
vinay1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

checked there is no log in the event viwer related to VSS.

0 Kudos
nimaghajarieh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

It is one weak i have the same problem Smiley Sad did you find the solution?

Re: Could not take snapshot of the virtual machine. ESX Server/vCenter Server reported the following...

0 Kudos
esxfan
Contributor
Contributor

Same Problem for some VMs. Any Solution available?

Thx

0 Kudos
e2p2
Contributor
Contributor

I have been seeing this issue intermittently on a number of my servers when I have Backup Exec run a backup of the VM.  I have found a solution but it is specific to Backup Exec.  If I restart the Backup Exec Agent on the affected machine I can then create a snapshot without issue.  I have create a scheduled task to restart this service an hour before my scheduled backup jobs.  Restarting this service also kicks off the "Volume Shadow Copy Service" and the "Microsoft Shadow Copy Provider".

0 Kudos