VMware Cloud Community
ggomez43
Contributor
Contributor

best practices for nested virtualization

Can someone please provide best practices when creating Vswitches (ports, port group etc)?

Learning vswitches and just want to not over think the process.I don't have networking experience but understand the basics.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sriven
Contributor
Contributor

Any replies?

Even i have a same question.

1. How many VM's can / should be scaled inside netested ESX environments?
  2. Can i use Vmware distributed switch under nested ESX environments?

-Srinivas

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

What I would suggest is to have one vSwitch for management network with two uplinks for redundancy. This has to be naturally, a VMkernel Port Group with management traffic enabled.

The other vSwitch for vMotion with one 10 G up-link or two 1 G up-link. Again, a VMkernel Port Group with vMotion traffic enabled.

Another switch for storage with redundant uplinks.

And a last vSwitch for VM Port Groups with two uplinks.

I always like to segregate my traffic. That is, management, vMotion, Storage and VM.

However, this is purely subjective. That is why I advise you to go through the below link, which discusses about best practices for virtual networking from VMware.

https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/support/landing_pages/Virtual-Support-Day-Best-Practices-Virtual-Ne...

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

Hell Sriven,

Yes, nested ESXi supports vDS.

Have you referred to vladan's article for determining resources for nested ESXi? If not, please do. You do not want to miss this:

http://www.vladan.fr/how-to-check-if-your-host-is-capable-to-run-nested-esxi/

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos