VMware Communities
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

WS 11 Windows and Firefox

Since I installed WS 11 it looks like WS and Firefox interact badly. Firefox stops to respond for a few seconds every couple of minutes and WS does the same.
Does anybody else see this on a Windows 7 64 host ?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
gbohn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not sure I'm seeing the same thing exactly, but I have Firefox 35 and Workstation 11 installed on a Win-7 64 Host and I have an issue with user input pausing periodically when using Firefox.

I've noticed for some time that when using Firefox, I get 'pauses' of a second or so frequently while browsing. During the 'pauses', the ability to enter Mouse input (clicks, mouse wheel scroll, etc.) seems to 'stall' for a second or two. After a second or so, the Firefox display 'caches up' with the pending command and is o.k. until the next stall. Seems to happen/get worse with a lot of tabs open.

I eventually discovered that this 'input stall' seems to effect all input to Windows, not just the Firefox application. (So, clicking on something on the desktop also experiences a momentary delay as well when a pause is happening)..

The same thing doesn't seem to happen when using Internet Explorer, it only seems to happen when I'm running Firefox.

I've so far been unable to track the problem down. Since this happens when browsing with Firefox even when I'm not actively running Workstation 11, I didn't associate this as a Workstation/Firefox specific issue.

Not sure this is exactly what you are seeing, but I thought I'd throw this out in case it's similar.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Ulli,

I'm waiting for my WS11 license so I can continue testing, but I think you saw this one already:

(after all it was you who replied there)

Seems similar.

Didn't want to reply there as I could not reproduce, but one of the things I would try in firefox is to disable Hardware acceleration (Options -> General tab -> Uncheck "Use hardware acceleration..."

Might not help (as the host should be able to use hardware acceleration really), but it is worth a shot in order to eliminate possible reasons.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos