VMware Cloud Community
Kanstantsin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Different license level

Hello, I need some help!

Is it possible to add in 1 management domain (vCenter) ESXi hosts with different license level?

For example we've got vCenter with 4 ESXi hosts licensed with 8 CPU vSphere Enterprise level. Then we going to add 4 new hosts with vSphere Enterprise Plus licenses. Is it possible at all? What kind of feature restrictions we can find between hosts with different license level (vMotion, SRM, HA)?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes you can have all of them under a single vCenter.

All the features such as HA, DRS et care common to both licenses so you don't have to worry about that. Lot of features like storage DRS, Storage I/O etc will be extra in Enterprise plus.

One important thing to note is that distributed switch is only possible for enterprise plus licensed hosts. So as far as you are concerned with just the overlapping features, you will not run into any issues.

Even if you need to use the advanced features, you will have to put the hosts into separate clusters.

Here's a comparison link for both the licenses.

Compare VMware vSphere Editions and Kits Comparison | VMware India

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes you can have all of them under a single vCenter.

All the features such as HA, DRS et care common to both licenses so you don't have to worry about that. Lot of features like storage DRS, Storage I/O etc will be extra in Enterprise plus.

One important thing to note is that distributed switch is only possible for enterprise plus licensed hosts. So as far as you are concerned with just the overlapping features, you will not run into any issues.

Even if you need to use the advanced features, you will have to put the hosts into separate clusters.

Here's a comparison link for both the licenses.

Compare VMware vSphere Editions and Kits Comparison | VMware India

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos