VMware Cloud Community
Windows77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Invalid configuration for device 3

Hi all,

I have set up a nested lab with three esxi hosts and two datastores connected with Microsoft iscsi target server. I know nested vm's are not supported but I am trying to set up this lab because I am supporting a real VMware environment and I would like to be able to test certain things before I break anything so it is important. I get this error when trying to create a VM "invalid configuration for device 3".  Anyone know how I can find out where the problem is?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Windows77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I believe I may have found the answer, it looks like it could be a windows issue causing data corruption. I somehow created one VM but getting all sorts of error trying to create another VM.  The iscsi targets I set up using windows server 2012 and it looks like there is a hotfix from Microsoft below that addresses lun corruption in windows 2012.  I haven't tested it yet but this seems like the right direction. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2908783

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please provide some more details about the environment, i.e. nested on what (VMware Workstation, ESXi, ...) Which version (host OS, guest OS, Hypervisors) do you use? How did you configure  networking for the nested hosts (stanard vSwitch, Distributed switches)? What may help are the configuration (.vmx) files for the nested ESXi hosts, so please attach them to a reply post.

André

Note: Discussion moved from vSphere Newbie to Nested Virtualization

0 Kudos
Windows77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

a.p. thanks for responding.

I am using vmware workstation 11 and esxi 5.5u2 using the vsphere standard switch for networking.  The environment is all 5.5 as I am also trying to study for the VCP5-DCV. The guest OS will be windows 8 and windows server 2012.

I attached the .vmx to the post from one of the esxi hosts.

0 Kudos
Windows77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Were you able to find out anything from the .vmx file?

0 Kudos
Windows77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is anyone able to assist with this?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't see anything wrong in the configuration file. Maybe the ESXi host's vmware.log contains some hints, as it shows the physical processor's capabilities!?

Just to be sure, the error pops up when you try click Finish in the create VM wizard? Did you configure anything special in the Windows VM, and/or do you try to set it up using the Easy Install feature, or do you select I will install the OS later?

André

0 Kudos
Windows77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes exactly sorry for the late reponse. Here is some additional info I got from the error report in vsphere:

Task Details:   Name: createVm Status: Could not find the file Description: Copying Virtual Machine configuration Start Time: Mar 5, 2015 6:02:23 PM Completed Time: Mar 5, 2015 6:02:26 PM State: error Error Stack:     Could not find the file Additional Task Details:   VC Build: 2183111 Error Type: GenericVmConfigFault Task Id: Task Cancelable: false Canceled: false Description Id: Folder.createVm Event Chain Id: 165

I will check the VMware log file.

0 Kudos
Windows77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is a new set up as I'm trying to study for the VCP5-DCV.  At one point I was able to create VM's but that environment is gone and I started setting it up from scratch and now I can't get passed this error.

The physical machine's CPU is an Intel core i7-3770k @ 3.5ghz and has 32 GB RAM.

0 Kudos
Windows77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I believe I may have found the answer, it looks like it could be a windows issue causing data corruption. I somehow created one VM but getting all sorts of error trying to create another VM.  The iscsi targets I set up using windows server 2012 and it looks like there is a hotfix from Microsoft below that addresses lun corruption in windows 2012.  I haven't tested it yet but this seems like the right direction. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2908783

0 Kudos