VMware Cloud Community
cr9c1
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.5 software 3d support

I am new to this so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong section.

I'm using the ESXi hypervisor with a free license, and managing with vSphere client.  I have a Windows 7 virtual machine, and have 3d support enabled, with "Automatic" settings for Displays and video memory.  I do not have a supported video device in the host, but only wanted to take advantage of the software based 3d for the Aero desktop and some other small 3d applications.  The support works, however I have noticed there is no option to select software/hardware rendering, when I only want software. As a result, I get an error logged each time the virtual machine starts, saying Hardware GPU resources are not available. Using software rendering.

I wanted only to use software rendering, so the desired effect is there. What I would like to do is force the VM to use software rendering only, so it stops logging this error each time the virtual machine boots.  Can anyone help me?  I would appreciate it. I'm new to ESXi but have learned a great deal from the forums and community.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Some options are only available from the vSphere Web Client. You may however try to manually add mks.use3dRenderer = "software" to the VM's configuration file to see whether this works. Remember that - after editing the VM's .vmx file - you either need to remove/add the VM from/to the ESXi host's inventory , or reload the VM (see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1026043)

André

0 Kudos