VMware Communities
ZeroPointEF
Contributor
Contributor

Drag and drop doesn't work between VMware 11 and CentOS 7.

I have CentOS 7 64 installed in VMware 11.  I can copy and paste in either direction between host and guest.  I can't drag and drop in either direction.

I have used the open VMware tools, and the tools included in VMware 11.  Neither work, and the tools included in VMware 11 don't seem to work for any functionality (ie. copy/paste, desktop resize, etc.)

I have installed the vmhgfs driver do no avail. 

This happens in 4 different VMs on three different machines.

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

Does anyone have a solution?

3 Replies
chaithu4u
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yeah i also facing the same issue any body have the solution please reply.

0 Kudos
pjirel
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into this same issue with CentOS 7 and VMWare 10.0.5 workstation. I tried to install the vmware tool package that was on my workstation but I was running into dependencies.

I realized that CentOS already installed open-vm-tools; I went to "Applications --> System Tools --> Software", then searched for "open-vm" (without the double quotation). Then removed any packages that were already installed.

Then I grabbed the tar file, VMwareTools-9.6.4-2441333.tar.gz, through my workstations (Through workstation: VM --> Reinstall VMWare Tools). Extracted the files and then installed it from CLI. It was prompting me for all the options like to copy files into and out, and other settings also. All went well. After re-install I rebooted CentOS. When I logged back in I was able to drag and drop files from real machine to VM Smiley Happy...

So basically any vmware tool packages that was already there; removing it and installing the vmware tool package that the workstation supported resolved my issue. You guys might have to do the same for VMWare 11 also.

dalupus
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,  this worked for me as well.

0 Kudos