VMware Horizon Community
bergerpjr77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

backup of a VM with AppVolumes mounted fails

Hi -- We're deploying VMware App Volumes v2.5 and when we use IBM TSM-VE to backup an RDS host that does 'not' have any App Volumes mounted -- the snapshot backups work just fine. However -- when an App Volume 'is' mounted to the VM -- the snapshot/backup process fails.

1. How does one backup a VM with App Volumes mounted.

2. How does one backup an App Volume is you cannot do it through backing up a VM? ie: how to we get these App Volumes from PROD to DR? Perhaps a cron-job to copy the files?

I cannot seem to find anything out there on backup strategies and App Volumes.

any help/411 would be great. thanks...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bergerpjr77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Addendum:

Error message in TSM-VE backup program:

"02/11/2015 11:32:39 ANS1734W The virtual machine 'sal-aprds-dv02v' contains one or more independent disks. Backups are not supported in this configuration. Specify the '-vmprocessvmwithindependent=yes' option to exclude these disks from the backup."

So even if we do put this option in the backups -- it will skip the App Volumes disks and the VM will successfully backup, but the App Volumes will not be backed up -- which is what we're attempting to do.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is a bit of a manual process today because it uses independent disks. They can be copied within the datastore easily and backed up in this way. It is a feature being worked on for AppStacks and Writable volumes but not somthing automated today.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Try using "Ahsay software" for taking backup guys! I am actually using this software from long time and really satisfied with its working just have a look at the software.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Did a quick search on it but it seems to be just clioud based backup not really VM aware backup.

Is it able to backup single disks from a datastore and can it check if the disk is in use or not?

Otherwise it seems like a nice commercial post but that's about it.

Don;t get me wrong, We are seriously looking at backup options but haven;t found one as to this day. Not even our storage vendor can handle it (until now at least, they are working on it)

0 Kudos