VMware Communities
mgerbasio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation 11 Internal Error

Hi,

I'm using Workstation 11 on Windows 10 TP 9926 with the latest updates as on 1/30/15. I have Win7 Pro guest and when I try to start up the guest OS I get a message box "VMware Workstation Internal Error".

There aren't any error codes or other information. Would appreciate some help to get this repaired. Thanks.

Regards-Michael G.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Assuming the log-file represents the current state it may help to disable 3d support as a test.
The VM tries to start from a suspended state.
To discard the suspended state delete the vmss-file and remove this line:
checkpoint.vmState = "Windows 7-8634aab9.vmss"
from the vmx-file

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mgerbasio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The last entries in the log file are:

2015-01-31T16:22:32.836-05:00| mks| I120: MKS-RenderMain: RenderMain: PowerOn allowed 1 0 0 1 0

2015-01-31T16:22:32.836-05:00| mks| I120: MKS-RenderMain: Collecting RenderOps caps...

2015-01-31T16:22:32.837-05:00| mks| I120: Failed to load D3DX9 library.

2015-01-31T16:22:32.849-05:00| mks| W110: D3DHost_UpdateDeviceCaps: HardwareVideo not enabled.

2015-01-31T16:22:32.849-05:00| mks| I120: D3D-Backend: successfully started by renderMux to do screen composition.

Searched but couldn't find a solution.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Could you please provide the entire vmware.log file, as an attachment to a reply in this thread?  Just prepare a reply, and look above the Post Message button for the facility for attaching a file here.  (Please don't copy and paste the whole log file into your post!)

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
mgerbasio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for looking at this for me, I really appreciate you taking the time.

This is a shared VM running on a MS Surface 3 with Workstation 11 and Win 10 TP 9926 (with current updates). I tried running as administrator and renaming the vmware.exe program file name as suggested in other threads.

As it is a shared VM, I ran Workstation 9 from my desktop PC and was able to open the guest OS.

0 Kudos
mgerbasio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just giving this a bump. Really need some help on this one. Thanks.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Assuming the log-file represents the current state it may help to disable 3d support as a test.
The VM tries to start from a suspended state.
To discard the suspended state delete the vmss-file and remove this line:
checkpoint.vmState = "Windows 7-8634aab9.vmss"
from the vmx-file

0 Kudos
mgerbasio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot! that did it, I unchecked the 3D feature in display settings and it started right up. Really appreciate you looking at this.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

By the way, since Workstation 10 it's been possible to directly power off a suspended VM... it should no longer be necessary to edit vmx files and delete things manually.  Just hit the power off button and Workstation will ask you to confirm that you want to discard the suspended state and forcibly power off the VM.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
thoettli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just upgraded yesterday to the latest VMWare Workstation 11.1. update. After that I got randomly this 'internal errors'. I've tried out all the recommendations here without success. $

Now, removed 11.1 and downgraded back to Worksttion 11.0 . Everything works fine again. I'll see if it continues to be stable with 11.0 - but have never seen this error before until yesterday after upgrading to 11.1.

Thomas

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Thomas,

If you still have the vmware.log (or vmware-1.log, etc.) from inside the VM's directory from when you encountered the "Internal Error", I'd be interested to look at it.  If it is still available, please attach it to a reply here.  (Please don't copy-and-paste... When composing a reply in this thread, look above the Post Message button for the file attachment facility.)

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos