4 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2017 12:03 PM by TPaineJr

How to customize vsphere client desktop shortcut

Skidz Lurker

Hello,

New to managing VMWare. I've done some research and not found an answer to my question.

I manage three hypervisors. One is running 2.5, another 4.1 and another 5.0. I can manage the 4.1 and 5.0 hypervisors with the 5.0 client, but not the 2.5. I therefore have a specific desktop shortcut to launch vsphere client 2.5.

I would like to be able to launch the shortcut with the "IP address / Name:" field pre-filled to include the target hypervisor name. Are there arguments that can be included in the executable to pre-fill this field ? I'm currently using the "-locale en_US" argument to ensure the client launches in English, and I've tried things like -host, -hostname, -servername, etc. with no results.

Any help most appreciated...

• 1. Re: How to customize vsphere client desktop shortcut
          Skidz Lurker

Found the info on an obscur blog, but it works !

• these are all the arguments:
            • -passthroughAuth = carries on currently logged on user credentials (use in conjunction with -s)
            • -s = server name
            • -u = username
            • -p = password
          • usage: “C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\VpxClient.exe” -locale en_US -s Server -u Username -p Password
          • 2. Re: How to customize vsphere client desktop shortcut
            JLOAIZA Novice

Only issue i see is the password will be in the clear. Does anyone know how to have it prompt just for password using this config? or how to not have the password in the clear?

• 3. Re: How to customize vsphere client desktop shortcut
              prakkumar Lurker

My Password keeps changes everyday hence I need a way to only save user name and not password in the shortcut link.

Is there a way to to this ? I tried saving only user name like this :

“C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\VpxClient.exe” -locale en_US -s Server -u Username -p Password

But when I launch the shortcut, it attempts to logon with a blank password which eventually fails (obviously), May be after supplying -u it assumes that -p is also present regardless of whether it is present or not and attempts a logon with a null value in Password ?

• 4. Re: How to customize vsphere client desktop shortcut
                TPaineJr Lurker

Try not specifying the "-s Server" parameter, after repeated launches the server value seems to be remembered, but if you only specify the username it appears to fill in the username, display the cached server name, and waits for a password to be entered.

These values could also be written into the "VpxClient.exe.config" file, located in the same directory as VpxClient.exe.